Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   A Arm bushing tool (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/arm-bushing-tool-92019.html)

propaneburner 06-19-2006 03:37 PM

A Arm bushing tool

What is the proper tool to put new a-arm(control arm) bushings in place.?

This question is for a 79 camaro.

I have a press and stuf like that , but these arms are org. from heavy sheetmetal and i dont like to bent them while pressing.

Or just fill the gap with some wood/iron etc.

Thanks all.

russlaferrera 06-19-2006 05:40 PM

A frame bushing instalation

Propaneburner, there is a special tool made by OTC and Kent More that looks like a C clamp, that has one end that is U shaped (so you can remove it from the bushing). I use a 2X2 angle iron, the length between the A frame with a deep socket on top of the bushing as the driver with a hyd. press Make sure the A frame is clean, so the bushing will slide in easier. Hope this helps! Russ

sha_ba_do_bang 06-20-2006 03:13 PM

you should be able to slide it over the press so your only pushing on on leg and the other side hangs below the press, i wouldn't buy the tool if you have a press

sockets make excellant bushing drivers!

Brendan

Koolaid 07-12-2006 05:28 AM

Uppers or lowers?

Lowers: cut out the originals, get some 2 x 2 x 1/4 angle iron - make some precise fit spacers to go in between the two gaps. Note that due to stuff moving around and being old you might have 4 different lengths cut for the 4 lowers, but odds are you're right and left will be the same. Just make sure you have it snug enough so that it won't fold and then press it in.

Uppers - You can press the first in normally, then drop in the second, make a long spacer so you won't fold the control arm and go to town pressing that one too. I have also had one or two urethane bushings that I could press out of the housing with persuasion so I could press the uppers in normally, then drop in the urethane and use the cross bar as a press of sorts to draw in the urethane.

Just my opinion - I've read about doing uppers while they are still on the car using heat and a hammer, but I'm a little leary of putting heat into the control arms.

Bryan59EC 07-12-2006 05:47 AM

I have - a few times - used an air hammer with a blunt tip - to vibrate them in.

A bit of lubricant and they will usually go right in.

I use the same method to get them out -- sometimes need the chisel though.

(actually did an arm yesterday)

tm454 07-12-2006 07:05 AM

getter dont!!

use a hack saw to cut the old bushing in-two pieces..be careful NOT to cut into the A-Arm. Use the c-clamp tool to push out the old pieces. Use the tool to install the new bushing after cleaning up the hole inside of the A-arm to make it slide in easier.

Tazz