A Arm Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2004, 10:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A Arm Question

I was at the NSRA show in OKC in April and someone recommended that I use "narrowed" A-Arms on my MII suspension of my 41 Ford Coupe. They said that the 5/8" narrowed A-Arms would help with handling and tire fitment.

What is ya'lls experience with this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2004, 06:00 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

If the camber of the outside tire is going positive during hard cornering, then, yes, a shorter upper A-arm will straighten the wheel back up and improve the grip of that tire. Whether this is an improvement or not depends on whether you want the car a little looser or not. On the down side, you'll lose a little wheel travel in jounce.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:15 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

narrowed a arms

I have a 41 Willys and given the choice again I would use narrowed a arms. My car isn't a real low rider but as low as it is there is a definite problem with the tire/fender clearance. The 41 Ford is a bit larger machine so you probably don't have the clearance problem unless you have deeply reversed wheels...ie lots of back space. The geometry is really important to avoid bump steer so with the narrower a arms you have to compromise a bit on the geometry. Not much however as the travel isn't probably as much as the M 2. I had a tough time getting the camber set on mine and as noted it would have been easier with the narrowed a arm.
I most asuredly would go with std on your car. Check with Heidt's. At least get their catalog..it explains this very clearly.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Bentwings,

That is what the guy from Rodparts Warehouse told me. He has a 42 and he said that the 41 had a narrower frontend and that the 5/8" narrower upper/lower A-Arms allowed for the better fitment.

Where is it that you have the tire interferance? What size tire and rim are you using? When you say "Lots of Backspace" what do you mean by lots? Is 4.75 lots of backspace?

Thanks for your help

Deon
Old 05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

backspace

I have CenterLIne Convo Pro fronts 15 x 7 with 3 1/2 BS as I recall. I use the Goodrich T/A 215/60R/15 which is the shortest/narrowest of this size I could find. I'm really splitting hairs to make them fit. Handling is one of the things I want this car to do so I've worked prertty hard to make and adjustable combination. I really should have used a 205 tire instead and dropped spindles but the narrower a arms would have taken care of it to start with. At the time no one would commit to the question of narrower a arms so I was stuck with this.

As for where it is close...when the wheel is turned one wheel goes forward and one goes back. The clearance gets tight on the edges of the tire both front and back edges...ie a wider tire is trouble for me. Were I to have a greater BS say 4 1/2 then the tire would be set back to the center of the car some and the problem would be less. In reviewing my post I see where you are confused. I appologize. I should have said something like not enought BS instead of Lots of BS. A reversed wheel (same width) would have less BS say 3 inches for example but the wheel would stick out further..big problem. I also have a problem with the dia...but not as much as the edges. I removed almost all of the inner lip of the fender where it contacts. Ultimately I may have to re-radius the wheel opening. ugh.

Now a 14 in wheel might help with a smaller dia tire but brake clearance can be close if you use large brakes (I do) May or may not fit.

The big problem is wheels and tires aren't cheap and finding out your choice doesn't fit is frustrating. I nearly bought a set of plain wheel rims and centers from Speedway to assemble just to set this up. They are pretty cheap..the circle burners use these all the time.

Final question 4.75 is a lot of BS for the front unless you are using 10"+ width wheels!! This will set your wheel in 1.25 per side from what I have. (good) Don't forget to take into accout the width of the wheel. I have a Summit cat thru June 04. in front of me here. If you look on p222 there is the BS measurement picture.

hope I unconfused you.

BTW Billy is correct on his post too.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.