arm rest,door panels - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

arm rest,door panels

Well i will try to let everyone know how i did my arm rest , And door panels.I did not take alot of pics,It was one of those ,(I want to try to do this projects).So i left the camera in the house.I will try to do my best.( It won't let me put my pics,So i will post them in my album.( Sorry so long )

well this is the sanding pad,In the stapler i used.I buy the pads a Lowe's.first i draw a shape for the arm rest,I make all my patterns out of poster board ,I like to make my arm rest,in stead of buying them,Little more work! But i get what i want that way.Once i have a pattern made i cut out the arm rest.I uses Lauan from Lowe's,it works good. Make two.Then i cut some 1 by 4,into strips. In staple them to the arm rest,Then i sand the shape i want .I then use bondo to smooth out the arm rest.You have to decide if you want to have a pull built in,if so add it.Once i have it done,I glue some closed cell foam on it.I used 1/8. Then i cut out my door panels.I use two self tapping screws to hold the board to the door.Then i drill a 1/4 hole threw the board in the car door at the same time ,about 6 Inch's apart,(use your judgement) Once you have this done,make sure you have a good fit,all the way around the door.don't forget you will be putting fabric around it.Once it is ok, then mark out where the door handles will be.Then i take some paper the size of the door panels ,in start to draw some design on it.When i get what i want,I make a pattern ,Then cut it out of the luana. I install my arm rest where i want it,i use flat head self tapping screws. Then i take my design board( insert ) in locate where i want it.Take your time to get it just right. then put two screws to hold it,Then i drill some 1/4 holes to hold the design to the door panel. I then put some Tee nuts into the design board,which is going to be my insert.The tee nuts are the small ones. ( I think there where 10-24) not sure.Once you have this done,Then you can bolt the insert to the door panel.Use small bolts,You don't want them to show threw the foam.Once you have ever thing done.Glue the foam on your inserts ,I used 1/8 closed cell foam on the inserts, In used 1/4 on the door panels,don't glue the foam to the door panel yet! In the pics i had the auveco fasteners,But i went with the tee nuts instead ,That way my inserts can come off the door panels if i want to take them off,once you have the foam on the inserts,Cover them with your fabric. then cover your panel with the foam,You will have a bump where the clips are,Just sand them down flat. Soon as you have the door panel covered with the foam the two holes that you used to screw the inserts to the panel.use these to line up the inserts.And trace the inserts on to the foam, And take them out the way, Also do the arm rest .An carefully cut out the foam where the inserts go,They usually come out easily. now your inserts should fit in your door panels.I them take off the inserts in the arm rest.And then i cover the door panels.I cut a pieces bigger then the door panel.I put my glue on my fabric, and my panel. What i do,I cover the top an bottom of the door panel, with some poster board,In leaving the middle open . Then i lay my fabric over the hole thing.This let's me pick it up if i need to,It let you work in the middle.and the top in bottom don't get stuck, When you have the middle done,Then you pull the poster board out some,And move down .until you work your way down,Then do the top, Once you have done the door panels,Then you can put it together.I hope this will help.If you need more help let me know,I will do my best.Give me time i will try to post some pics in my album,Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 08-06-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added some more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Pictures would sure help. To post pictures, you need to re-size them to make them smaller. If you don't have picture software on your computer, try Picasa2 from Google. http://picasa.google.com/#utm_campai...icasa%20google It's free, and will let you modify your pictures. It also finds all the pictures on your computer and puts them into folders by date........oldest to newest. Resize the ones you want to post to 640 pixels, and reduce the image quality to 70%. That will allow you to attach pics to your posts.

The small tee nuts are 10-24. The larger ones are 1/4-20.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 PM

New Interiors, your work looks great! . I have been trying to figure out how to make a similar arm rest like yours but don't understand your explanation. I visited your build pages that showed the arm rest but can't figure out how it was done Can you elaborate?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I will try to put some pics together,And try to get them on here sorry,Still tring to learn this computer thing.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:09 PM

No problem Randy!. Thanks for helping me out tonight. I can't wait to practice. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.