ARP main studs question (for my 489 build) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 03:58 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ARP main studs question (for my 489 build)

Hello everyone!

I'm building a stroker 489 torque monster for my 4x4 79 Blazer.

So I got new ARP main studs for it. During the machining process, I got the mains align honed. Then the caps were ground down to get the right clearance for the crankshaft. The thing is that they had to replace and retorque the caps about 5-6 times during the process. I still have to do the final assembly after cleaning it, so that's one more torque down for the studs. I've read somewhere that ARP bolts stretch permanently and shouldn't be used more than 5 times. Can I still use these studs? Or am I risking something getting damaged in the long run due to an incorrect torque reading?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi
I've never heard of a stud being unusable after five torque downs, the number of times it's torqued isn't the deciding factor on weather it should or shouldn't be used. Heck you can over stretch it on the first torquing. The correct way is to measure it.

If you measure a fastener and it is 0.0005˝ longer than its original length, it has been compromised and must be replaced.
Rich
PS Call ARP they'll tell you the same thing.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the good news Richard. What about ARP rod bolts. Are those more prone to failure?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Some of the newer cars have single use bolting, I know Ford with their modular engines specifies some bolts be replaced, which is probably where that kind of information originated. I agree with Richard - and especially since there has not been any heat cycling of these fasteners.

Dave W
Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

Bolts only need to be discarded after use if they are of the torque to yield type. And even then, most headbolts can be reused once or even twice depending on how they are being torqued down. I don't know about studs though which is the specific topic here, so i'm subscribed for more replies but seems Richard already nailed it
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer79
Hello everyone!

I'm building a stroker 489 torque monster for my 4x4 79 Blazer.

So I got new ARP main studs for it. During the machining process, I got the mains align honed. Then the caps were ground down to get the right clearance for the crankshaft. The thing is that they had to replace and retorque the caps about 5-6 times during the process. I still have to do the final assembly after cleaning it, so that's one more torque down for the studs. I've read somewhere that ARP bolts stretch permanently and shouldn't be used more than 5 times. Can I still use these studs? Or am I risking something getting damaged in the long run due to an incorrect torque reading?

Thanks!
Actually, repeated tightening and loosening cycles will burnish the threads and in the end will give a more accurate reading than would fresh, one-time-tightened fasteners.

From a '98 ARP catalog:
Quote:
The friction factor changes from one application to the next. That is, the friction is at its highest value when the fastener is first tightened. Each additional time the fastener is torqued and loosened, this value gets smaller. Eventually the friction levels out and becomes constant for all following repetitions. Therefore, new fasteners should be tightened and loosened through several cycles before applying final torque. The number of times depends on the lubricant. For all situations where ARP lubricants are used, five cycles are required before final torquing.
This may have been supreceded, but I believe they still call for cycling the fasteners through a couple tight-loose cycles.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi
Any fastener in that environment (Rod Bolts, mains, etc.) are subject to failure, all you can do is try & make it as bullet proof as possible.
This is don by using the best parts your able to afford & close attention to detail.
Well ARP has been at this for awhile (1968) & are considered the best of the bunch. Back when I started & I'm sure a lot of the older men remember when it was a crap shoot as to weather the thing was going to stay together, the quality wasn't there in the fasteners, many engines failed due to the fasteners inability to handle the stress. Today it's much different, now when I put an engine together I no longer worry about the fasteners not being up to the task. I use ARP fasteners exclusivity.
Rich
PS Normally when you see an advertizement for connecting rods, you'll read "rods have been upgraded to ARP fasteners/bolts"

X2 with the cycling of the fasteners.

Last edited by richard stewart 3rd; 04-27-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.