Arrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Do the right thing...

Wiki Edits: 0

Arrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!

Well before when I first bought my baby, (88' bronco II) The e brake was not working. I had to use embarrasing wheel chocks when it sat in my driveway. After having to adjust the rear shoes because I had to pry off the freaking drums, I managed to free up the e brake. But when I went to drive it yesterday, it felt like they were dragging and it didn't feel right when it "released". So the shoes were dragging so bad I could smell the brakes burning. I need to have this working in order to pass inspection! I don't like leaving it in gear and chocking the wheels, so please help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Probably a rusted cable, it won't release under spring pressure. After 15 years it's not surprising. Replacement may fix it, you may have some other parts back there rusted enough to replace also when you look.....
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Do the right thing...

Actually, wiggling all of the cables around led me to discover that the two rear cables are frozen. The front one I can easily pull on and get a little slack from it. The rear ones don't even move. I am going to buy new rear cables and contact my good mechanic friend to see if he can install and adjust the new cables. I don't want a garage to do it because I would have to pay for towing both ways (It's not registered yet) ,pay for instalation labor, and adjustment. I can have my friend do it and he'll take $50 to do it.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:09 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

Ever think of trying to do it yourself? the cables are pretty easy to replace and since its not registered you dont have to worry about having it on the road right away so take your time and have at 'er! you gotta learn some how right?

BTW driving around without insurance is bad dont get caught
Old 06-01-2005, 04:49 PM
~Low Budget Baby~

Last photo:

drivin with out insurance for a little while ain't that bad just don't do anything stupid at all and if you see a cop slow down to 10mph under the speed limit and turn off the road if he follows you and i don't blame you i've been workin on my drum brakes for about a month and can't seem to get the adjusted right so the car doesn't pull left or right or lock up the back wheels really easy
Old 06-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

yea man replace them yourself Alot cheaper and gain knowledge.....you just do the opposite of what you do to get them off....Its pretty simple actually, if you think you might forget take pics or jot down some notes on a piece of paper to help you remember.
Most of this stuff is simple, turn bolts hit stuff cuss fart get frustrated then have at it again...as long as you dont break nothing removing, if you cant get it back together you can always take it in to someone when you fail. Gotta learn somehow

I wouldnt slow down 10mph under speed limit then dart off onto a side road....that will cause serious attention. most cops look for signs of weakness/paranoia......
Old 06-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Do the right thing...

Springy!!!!!!

I know where cops like to hide, especially around where I live. Actually I discovered when I got home, that the cables are fine. The return spring is bad. Ok. 2 days ago, with the trans and transfer case in neutral, I could roll it backwards, but a loud squeak was coming from the drums and it was very hard to push it. Today when I was monkeying with the cables some more, I noticed the return spring was very loose, even with the brake engaged. When I pulled the release, I yanked on the front cable a little. Then I heard a "pop" noise come from the rear brakes. So removed the wheel chock, got in, put the trans and transfer case in neutral, and guess what? It rolled freely without pushing it! No squeaks or anything! When released, the spring is too old and weak to fully retract the cables. So I will replace the spring, and see how everything goes.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:36 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

as far as driving without insurance or any of the other requirements. think about it this way... what are you gonna have to pay if & when you get caught what if something happens ...oh i dont know maybe break failure and you hurt someone or what if a drunk runs into you and you have no insurance then your both going down
here in the sunshine state
no license
no insurance
no or switched tag
go to jail do not pass go do not collect $200.
that is part of the responsibility of owning and operating a motor vehicle in modern society

sr66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

driving with no insuarnce around here costs $2500 i believe, well if you get caught lol. i admit i drove with no insaruce but it was just to get a car home after i buy one. yah with the good ol trailer plate yah that was stupid

i also agree with 1Fast65Elky, you drive slow your going to get attention. just follow the laws and drive normaly. only Grandmas drive slow, or for the most of them lol
Old 06-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Do the right thing...

Not were I liv Willis!

My home is located on a circle which has two access roads. The first one leads to a differant circle as well. I've only driven it around here. I wouldn't even think about driving it on a REAL road. Besides, cops never come around where I live. Plus I'm sneaky.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.