The art of punishment - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Banned User

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The art of punishment

Since no-one wishes to "go there" as far as the China punishment thing, i thought we should start another thread.

Execution van - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i would like to discuss the relative degrees of urgency that different countries handle punishment.

We can see the China is very judicious and expedicious as far as punishment and perhaps we should follow their lead.

This attitude certainly does not mirror their policies regarding quality control.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
I have very mixed emotions about execution as viewed in a what is better for society sort of way. My first thought is who the hell are we to take someones life? Put them in prison with no friggin tv, no news, only censored books and magazines for entertainment and let them rot there. No torture, just a walk around the grounds a day for exercise, you know what I mean.

But then on the same respect I have a fierce PERSONAL feeling is if you touch another human being in a crime like a purse snatching or strong arm robbery that sort of thing, you NEED to die, you need to be eliminated from society permanently in every way, we don't need you. If you enter someones home while there are inhabitants in the home, you NEED to die, a little harsh but thats how I see it personally, I know it's not the right thing for society so I will have to default back to my original statement.

Brian
Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

Ok, i don't know if purse snatching in and of itself warrants the death penalty. But certainly a strict penalty.

As far as entering a home with inhabitants. If you did not know and leave upon discovery, then i don't think the death penalty is warranted. But again a strict penalty.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The "Devils Island" form of punishment always appealed to me....Throw them all on some deserted island and let them fend for themselves...and feed off each other if they have to.

Hey, that might make a cool reality show.....lol
Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post
Ok, i don't know if purse snatching in and of itself warrants the death penalty. But certainly a strict penalty.

As far as entering a home with inhabitants. If you did not know and leave upon discovery, then i don't think the death penalty is warranted. But again a strict penalty.
On the purse snatching, when I think of a 70 year old woman being knocked to the ground as some scum wrestles her purse from her, oh yeah death.

On the home, your 3 year old is sleeping in a bed three feet from the window where this scum enters? Death, oh yeah, death.

If a crime is committed with a gun, a loaded gun, a hold up, death. None of that "attempted" murder BS. If the INTENT was to kill someone, if a shot was made DEATH. The scum shouldn't get off because they are a bad shot, DEATH.

Again, this is in Brian's kingdom.

Brian
Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM

punishment

drug dealers. death
Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
The "Devils Island" form of punishment always appealed to me....Throw them all on some deserted island and let them fend for themselves...and feed off each other if they have to.

Hey, that might make a cool reality show.....lol
I agree! One of the better ideas. We've got a nice little island out here that would work perfectly. No trees, no grass, no nothing. Just a 1 mile square of rock called Snake Island. KIck them off the back of the ferry when it cruises by. When the ferry cruises by 6 times a day the tourists could launch food scraps in their general direction. Just for fun!!
It'd be a real "Survival of The Fittest".
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

china's a whole didderent world..
over here, I wish they'd change things..
death sentance, should be just that, you get 5 years in jail to figure out a way to prove you didn't do it.. if not lights out..
also inmates that are serving multi sentances, that put them at living till 100+, you get five years, if not lights out too.
jails need to go back to bsing jails not, country clubs.. maybe if they were the bare min. it might change the mind of a thug, and them not wanting back.. today.. they get caught, no biggy, they get 3 hots and a cot,cable, a gym membership, schooling and healthcare all on the taxpayers dime..
there is no good reason it cost on av. 42000.oo to house one inmate.. there are a lot of american living on a lot less..
the purse shatching, that thug, sentance should start with a blanket party.. and then the lenth, be the same as the purses owners age.. screw them.. if they know they get caught taking grandma's purse and are cautgh they are going to get 50-80 years, it'll stop.......
child molesters, rape,etc these cases , I think everyone involved needs to take a polygragh.. something tells me more than a few claim "victom" to get on the gravytrain... if that person did do it.. straight to the needle, do not pass go.. to lie about being molested, you gonna do 50 years.. these crp of coming forward 30 years later, has got to stop also.. most times when the claimed is already passed,,
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Brian, I wholeheartedly agree with
"who are we?"
but then my other brain comes back with
"who are they?"

a tuffie to discuss for sure ????
Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 AM
boatbob2

Hard Core..............

In the Bahamas,most small islands have a 1 man boss,he takes care of everything,a friend Jon,is this guy,when some people bring dope on his island,he takes them out to a really small island about 10 miles away,and dumps them out with a box of food,and 5 gallons of water,nothing on this island,every week,he goes and gives them another 5 gal of water and a box of food.they will be there for 4 weeks.if they live OK,if they dont TUFF.HIS island has NO DRUG PROBLEM, if someone breaks into my home,hes a dead man,i dont play,been there,done that...
Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

The subject of execution is never pleasant, at least for me. What i like is their expediency and tenaciousness in exercising the death penalty as well as punishment in general.

This is in contrast to their seemingly lackadaisical approach to, for example, quality control, pollution control, environmental policies, human rights, traffic laws (no drinking and driving laws yet still) space exploration etc.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds View Post
The subject of execution is never pleasant, at least for me. What i like is their expediency and tenaciousness in exercising the death penalty as well as punishment in general.

This is in contrast to their seemingly lackadaisical approach to, for example, quality control, pollution control, environmental policies, human rights, traffic laws (no drinking and driving laws yet still) space exploration etc.
True, very true.

Brian
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

"PUNISHMENT" - generally speaking there are 2 reasons for it.

To "get even" - which makes you as bad as the person you are punishing - you are simply doing the same thing for no good reason whatever. (except it may make YOU feel better - in which case you need some professional help!)

Deterrence - which "might" work if there was any chance whatever that it would actually deter someone from doing the crime in the first place. However, so long as "joe crook" continues to get elected - ooops - er- ahem - I mean continues to have a realistic expectation of not being caught - and therefore not being punished - well then there is no deterrent effect at all. None.

After all - lets look at states where the death penalty is used. Since it is such an effective deterrent, there has obviously never been a single murder committed in those states, right?

So what is the answer? I hope someone has an answer - I don't.

Last edited by Dave57210; 10-15-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

In the area that I am trying to make a living in..

56 murders all ready this year. That does not count the ones who were killed outside the city limits.

You are risking your life to drive up the street from 1:00 pm thru 2:00 am. In warm weather.. Random drive bys are getting to be nightly news..

Here is a headline that is getting to be common.

87-year-old woman raped, robbed, beaten while bringing in groceries

An 87-year-old woman was raped, robbed and beaten while taking in groceries around noon Monday near Bradley and Reynolds. Dominic Adams | Mlive.com
FLINT, MI – An 87-year-old woman was beaten, raped and robbed as she was bringing in groceries outside her home near Bradley Avenue and Reynolds Street Monday.

The woman was hospitalized and is undergoing tests, her family said.

"A man walking by grabbed her from behind and brought her inside," said Chelsea Byrd, the woman's great-granddaughter. "She was attacked and robbed and then he left."

The assault happened around noon, the woman's family said. The woman called family members and then police following the attack. ...

They just opened up a new "lockup", but also released 150 or more criminals to the streets because of overcrowding.. I believe there are too many career criminals on the street.

E.Furgal....The five year rule should be enacted!!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

Some states have or had laws where if someone entered your home and appeared unarmed, your first action must be to leave the home...for safety...even if it means using an open window as a means of egress. If while trying to leave unnoticed, you realize the scum is armed, you may shoot them...if you feel your life is in danger.

Im sorry when did the guy breaking the law have the right to be in my home, happy and alive...and I do not

No one said it; so I will. Pedophiles can't be cured of pedophilia...castrate or kill them. However, one of my classmates in college (he was 23) met a girl at a party, she was taking college classes, they shared a meaningful 10minute relationship. then she got crazy, phonecalls stalking etc. THEN he finds out shes 17, after she screamed rape. I was at that party, I can assure you she was no lost waif. The justice system needs to look at these life altering crimes (for the accused) in a case by case basis. Yes she was 17, but it clearly wasn't rape and now hes branded as a sex offender. Its one of those grey areas that I don't agree with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.