Asking how much a car might be worth? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 03:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Asking how much a car might be worth?

Hi, I'm about to purchase a 1971 Nova but before meeting with the seller, I'd like to ask this board for help on how much the car might be worth, approximately!

Is it okay to ask this on the forum and what might be the correct sub-forum for it?

Thanks in advance to any moderators that might answer my question above.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I guess that question would fit in the HotRodding Basics area...I am moving this there.

To answer your question, prices in Finland are going to be different than those in the US

Budget RVs
Old 09-30-2011, 04:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
To answer your question, prices in Finland are going to be different than those in the US
Thanks for your answer & moving the thread.

I know the cost of transporting the car over to Finland, so I'm quite happy to have estimates of US prices. I'll update the thread with some info, let's see what answers I might get!

Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 AM

Last photo:

Hi all

I've paid a reservation payment on a 1971 two-door that is right now in the process of being shipped from the hot climate of California to... Finland

Before I go and check out the car in real life and make the decision to purchase it or not, I'd like to ask for your opinion: what could this sort of a car be worth in the US? It has some spare parts with it (interior parts mostly) and the transmission is supposed to be reconditioned. The engine is an old 307cid. All of the available pics can be found here:

http://flickr.com/gp/13873796@N07/9NFW07/

Thanks in advance for any estimates you might have!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

craigslist ????

do u have it there, i haven't looked to see... but it may give u the info your looking for.. an idea of worth.. even ck out the US pricing too... just an idea...
Old 10-01-2011, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

A base model 307 Nova in that condition, less than $1000 US, IF it isnt rotted out underneath
Old 10-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrStrtracer
A base model 307 Nova in that condition, less than $1000 US, IF it isnt rotted out underneath
I agree. Start underneath with an ice pick and see if you have a solid floorpan. If the car were an original, in running condition, it would be worth somewhere around USD5,000.
Having been around this hobby for over 50 years, I would not begin a resto on a rusty car. Been there, done that.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

A big thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
If the car were an original, in running condition, it would be worth somewhere around USD5,000.
Okay, just double checking to see if I understood correctly: this car could be valued around USD5,000 (roughly) with the spares included, in case it is rust free?

This would be in line with the asking price here in Finland. If you guys agree it would be USD1,000 (rust free) in the states, then I'm being robbed ;)
Old 10-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Where in Ca. is this car? Looks like high desert. I will be headed south in 2 weeks, I may get a chance to give it a once over. Dan
Old 10-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Where in Ca. is this car? Looks like high desert. I will be headed south in 2 weeks, I may get a chance to give it a once over. Dan
Wow, what an offer! Much appreciated, but the Nova is already in a sea container headed for Finland. It will be sold here - I've paid a reservation payment of a couple of hundred on it, so I have the option to buy it before it goes in the open market here. That's why I'm asking advice on what you guys think it might be worth.

If the consensus here is "around 5000$ if rust free" then I'm going to take it. If the consensus is "around 1000$ if rust free", then I'm going to walk away from it and forfeit my reservation payment.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
I looked through the whole album of photos and the car doesn't appear to be too bad in the floorpan. I see some rust in the lower front fenders and both doors would be slung over the fence if it was mine. I will not start with parts that have Bondo in them. I suspect it will take considerable body work to smooth the chrome strip holes, in the event you wanted to leave them off the car.

What price is the seller asking for the car?
Old 10-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I don't know if I would go 5 grand. The values may be inflated in Finland to where the car may be worth it. I looked over many of the pictures, it looks as though they tried to do some cover up on the bottom side, spray paint on the brake lines and all. The bottom of the fender is where rust will attack first, there is rust on the fender, makes me wonder if it is truly an "always" a California car and what may be next with rust. Tech gives some good advice, he tells it like it is, from my experience with him. If it were rust free in the floors, only had rust in the one fender, I would go 2 grand, tops. USA 2 grand. Finland money? That's for you to figure, are there many of these type of cars around Finland? Dan
Old 10-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I think tech meant it would be worth $5000 all together and not dismantled or messed with, in the same (presumably) rust free condition. Around here that number would be about $2500-$3000. I also agree the doors are junk. Floors never scare me because they are almost always rusted some, easy to fix/hide. But any other rust in the unibody would be a deal breaker for me at any price.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
What price is the seller asking for the car?
Thanks for that assessment. The asking price in Finland, including shipping, customs etc is 10'000$. I know for a fact that shipping across the world in a sea container, Finnish customs etc amount to at least 2700$. Then, there has to be some margin for the guys, make that 1500$ or something like that ---> that would indicate a price of around 5000-6000$ in the states, taking in the spares it has and the (supposedly) reconditioned transmission...

Quote:
Are there many of these type of cars around Finland? Dan
3rd gen, no. Practically not available, some cars appear every now and then in the internet car sales portals, but almost always like this - the car is in the states, not in Finland. These ads dissapear relatively quickly, somebody picks them up.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Would you want me to watch for deals on rust free cars? I have a few friends that turn cars on a regular basis, some make me a little crazy sometimes with the economy like it is. One friend recently sold: 67 Chevelle SS, with a 454, 4 speed, not installed, very little rust through, 2 places on front fenders, $3500. Chevy Chevelle, 65, 2 door wagon ( I hope I have the year right), rust free, needed a back window, $4500, nice nice car. 87 Camaro, rust free, junk motor, straight body, went to the crusher. This doesn't happen everyday but often enough in tough times with no money to fix them up for a few of the guys. There was an Aussie body man that worked here for about 15 years, took 3 containers home to Australia with mostly 32 Ford bodies and parts about 3 years ago, it is his retirement package. I know of a barn full of old model A's, 3 containers full of parts, not for sale. The old man died a year back and the 3 sons can't agree on anything, someone is probably going to die, they are those kind of folks. DO NOT go on their property without an invite..lol. If one of the sons doesn't shoot you, Ma will. (Play banjo music here) There is still plenty of old iron around, I belong to one of the oldest car clubs in existence, I am one of the youngsters in the club! The deals these guys find is amazing. Well I have strayed far enough off topic, just letting you know there is lots of old cool stuff around. Dan

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.