Hot Rod Forum banner

Assembly Lube

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Quepas00 
#1 ·
Where should assembly lube be used and where should it not be used

#2 ·
I use assembly lube on all the bearings,I would use a moly or cam lube on the cam lobes unless its a roller then use engine oil. Use engine oil on the piston pins, rings ,pistons and cylinder walls. I guess you could use assembly lube on your rockers unless they are roller rockers, just dip them in oil before assembly. I like to get every thing together except the intake manifold and valve covers and pour all my oil over the lifters, cam and rocker arms before I purge and pressurize the oil system. After that its ready to go. If you have a new flat tappet cam break it in @2000 RPM for 20 mins on your first start up. So have everything pretty close to being dialed in.like your timming and carb adjustments.

#3 ·
Assembly lube should never be used on cylinder walls, as it is too slippery for the rings to seat properly. Use motor oil on cylinder walls, piston skirts, ring faces, ring grooves, etc. Other than that, there are a couple of different types of lubes to use in different parts of the engine. Use extreme pressure lubes (moly lube) on cam lobes, lifter crowns, pushrod ends, rocker arm tips, tops of valve stems. Use a regular assembly lube on all bearing surfaces (rod, main, cam journals),piston pins, lifter bores, lifter bodies, rear main seal, timing cover seal, etc. Prime the oil pump, while turning the engine over by hand through at least two revolutions. Have the carb bowls full of fuel, set timing as close as possible so the engine will start immediately. Run engine at 2000-2500 rpm for 20 minutes to break in cam/lifters.

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: engineguy ]</p>

#4 ·
(Use engine oil on the piston pins, rings ,pistons and cylinder walls.)

Engine guy read my post carefully. ;)

PS... pressurize the oil system with a drill motor and a shaft to drive the oil pump before you put the distributor in.

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: Quepas00 ]

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: Quepas00 ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.