Hot Rod Forum banner

Assembly lube ?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  engineczar 
#1 ·
Going to be putting together a 454 soon. I plan on using Lubriplate 105 of the bottom end bearings. I have a hyd roller cam and lifters (Comp Cam),
what should I use there and for the push rod/lifter area? Same stuff or Isky Rev Lube? Other suggestions?

Also do you coat the cylinders and piston assembly with motor oil prior to assembly?

Yep its been too darn long since I did it and I am sure methods have changed too...

#2 ·
If your putting roller lifters in an old 454 block measure the bore for wear I see lot of those blocks where the intake lifter bores are worn pretty bad and then you know what your clearance is as well.

These were lifters out a 454 and they had short lifter bores. Look at the top of the lifters for wear. These had 400 miles on them

#4 ·
Use a good quality assembly lube for the bearings. Lubriplate is an excellent product for lubricating hinges and fishing reels, but is doesn't contain much, if any, high pressure ingredients that are necessary for engine assembly.
Use the assembly lube on the cam and roller lifters as well. Pushrods and rocker arms need Moly lube at all contact points. Good clean motor oil should be applied to clean cylinder walls, also the piston skirts and rings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.