Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Assembly Lube on Cylinder walls
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 01:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Assembly Lube on Cylinder walls

I would like opinions on a problem i'm having with my newly rebuilt 350. I believe i messed up when i coated the cylinder walls with Permatex Ultra Slick assembly lube. The engine has 2000 miles on it now and uses 1 qt every 200-300 miles. It seems to have some blowby, possibly sucking some through pcv, but not hardly any noticeable smoke. I really don't want to get into the all the issues that could be causing this and i have read alot of other posts on this. The main thing i would like opinions on is the assy lube on the cylinder walls. I have rebuilt a few engines before and always used motor oil for the piston installation but this time the block sat for awhile before installing heads and i noticed minor surface rust forming on the exposed cylinder walls so i put some assy lube on them and thought nothing of it. Now after searching around i am wondering if this may have glazed the cylinder walls? Maybe it will just take longer for the rings to seat? i have read anywhere from first 200 miles to 2k-3k miles. Could this really cause a problem that i would have to re-hone the cylinders? I appreciate any comments.