Hot Rod Forum banner

Assistance On NEW hvlp gun options...

13K views 62 replies 11 participants last post by  Mfoehrkolb 
#1 ·
I am building up my clientele and it's time to move onto bigger and better things...

NEW GUN TIME... I have been using the HF 2 Gun combo, along with the Cobalt Gen 1 blue gun...

My budget is anywhere from 100-350ish...

I shoot dupont chromasystem, and nason brand normally. Also some kline's auto high build clear (where i purchase my paint products)...

I plan on using the HF guns as primer, and sealer guns, and the new gun is going to be spraying the bc/cc.

These were some of the guns i was looking at, but i am still a novice. So i would like some other suggestion's or even feed back on what gun i should choose.

Devilbiss Plus GFG-670 Plus
Devilbiss GTI 620G Millennium
Devilbiss FinishLine 3

#31 ·
Well feel welcome just to give me your personal settings. I am going to be spraying nason and chromasystem basecoat, and usually spray nason 497-00 or 496-00 clear.

I sprayed "klines auto" high solid clear with my Hf
gun, and i mixed it to the correct 2-1 ratio... And it seemed
like it didn't want to come out. With a 1.4tip,35 psi, and feed almost all the way out. it just wanted to gloB onto the panel.

#32 ·
Well with this gun here is what I usually do. Open the material all the way open (until the trigger has full travel)... then turn it back in about 1/8 of a turn. Then start opening your fan up and watch it as you open it...you will see it getting wider... do it does not take much turning this to get it all the way open... as soon as you get to maximum width then turn it back in just barely. Double check your pressure at this point to make sure where it is at... set it at about 33psi or so with the trigger pulled. Then double check your fan setting one more time.... you should be pretty good to go. I almost always use the 1.3 tip with this gun. Trust me you will be moving pretty fast with this gun...

Let me know how it works for you.. just remember that this is just to get you in the ball park, but it should be really close... always is for me anyways...

#33 ·
the reason you are having to spray so fast is because you have the fluid knob so far out. That is a personal choice and Mfoehrkolb YOU are going to have to adjust for YOU. Once you get your gun, play with it a little bit and spray something that doesn't matter. Get a feel for it. It will be COMPLETELY different than the HF gun you've been struggling with. And you will realize that you HAVE been fighting it once you use a good gun. I set mine at 2 1/2 turns from all the way in and might adjust another 1/4 turn out depending on what I was shooting. You will find the sweet spot shortly :mwink:

#34 ·
Yeah, I def. Will set it
to my speed. I think... Personally I am going to like a fast gun, simply because I am doing overall jobs. The hf gun is just crap...

The biggest problem I have had has been with that high solid clear... I would like to get it to shoot nice since it's like 44$ a gallon and 7 for the activator. So it's quite a bargain for me in material cost.

Finding a quality clear is what I am struggling with as of now. Besides for the gun itself.

Once I get it in the mail, I have a few cars lined up and lll keep everyone posted on how it's working for me.

#35 ·
Well I know it is a bit off topic, but not really since we are talking about this gun.... try out the SPI clear... I am telling you right now you will fall in love with it... All of their products rock... Plus you will never find better customer service at a company I can almost promise you. I have never called a company like that and actually gotten the owner, but at SPI you very well might. Plus he even said you can call him anytime and he will help you out. Now I would never abuse that, but there was one time I did have a question on a weekend and I actually got him and he helped me through a question I had.

#37 ·
Underground said:
the reason you are having to spray so fast is because you have the fluid knob so far out. That is a personal choice
Underground is right... it is a personal choice... that is just the way I like to shoot... It just feels right to me. I think that if I went slower I would end up thinking about it too much (you know that whole letting the brain take over vs. what just feels right...lol) but yes just set it to what feels good to you, I was just wanting to let you know how I set it and it runs great. To me it does not feel fast it just feels right. But just play with it and see what feels good

#41 ·
Use 4100-1 Universal with 4102-4 normal activator..mixes 1:1 so order 4 quarts of activator..use 870 medium reducer if necessary..i shoot it just plain with activator and do not reduce though some do..also ask for a tech manual with intial order..

Sam

#42 ·
OneMoreTime said:
Use 4100-1 Universal with 4102-4 normal activator..mixes 1:1 so order 4 quarts of activator..use 870 medium reducer if necessary..i shoot it just plain with activator and do not reduce though some do..also ask for a tech manual with intial order..

Sam

--- this stuff is going to be better than the nason 496 and 497 i use?

Also is this a high solid clear?

#45 ·
the klines clear i shot was 1-1 and i had a real hard time shooting it. It seemed to be way to thick still.

According to the way it came out of my gun... but... i also sprayed it with a 1.4t HF purple trigger/silver handle gun...

so is that clear... or gun... problem?

#47 ·
cyclopsblown34 said:
It could've been a combination of gun and clear problem. I'd almost guarantee you'll fall in love with the SPI clear as soon as you spray it.
my guns spray pattern goes in a L shape lol. The way the L is shaped is the way it sprays clear and color out. It's heavy at the bottom and light on the top. Crappy hf gun...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.