Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Assistance On NEW hvlp gun options... (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/assistance-new-hvlp-gun-options-179153.html)

Mfoehrkolb 06-08-2010 09:01 PM

Assistance On NEW hvlp gun options...

I am building up my clientele and it's time to move onto bigger and better things...

NEW GUN TIME... I have been using the HF 2 Gun combo, along with the Cobalt Gen 1 blue gun...

My budget is anywhere from 100-350ish...

I shoot dupont chromasystem, and nason brand normally. Also some kline's auto high build clear (where i purchase my paint products)...

I plan on using the HF guns as primer, and sealer guns, and the new gun is going to be spraying the bc/cc.

These were some of the guns i was looking at, but i am still a novice. So i would like some other suggestion's or even feed back on what gun i should choose.

Devilbiss Plus GFG-670 Plus
Devilbiss GTI 620G Millennium
Devilbiss FinishLine 3

Mfoehrkolb 06-08-2010 09:04 PM

This is some of the work i have done with the HF specials... not too shabby :D

Pix 4 Clicks
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...9_865972_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...2_699226_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5917876_n.jpg
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs299...._3915536_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2238003_n.jpg
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs319...._2619607_n.jpg

OneMoreTime 06-09-2010 01:53 AM

Save your pennies and go with either SATA or Iwata..those are the two guns you will see in the pro shops and there is a reason for that..You can shop around and find those guns for around 400.00 if you take your time..

Sam

Underground 06-09-2010 07:59 AM

Go with the Devilbis Plus. I GUARANTEE it will lay paint down as slick as a Sata! I WAS a SATA only guy. It will also use less paint than a 3000rp. I know for a fact. The only place you will possibly get a 3000rp that cheap will be ebay. If you can find one, then get it ONLY because if you decide to sell it at sometime you will get a higher price than the devilbis

Mfoehrkolb 06-09-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Save your pennies and go with either SATA or Iwata..those are the two guns you will see in the pro shops and there is a reason for that..You can shop around and find those guns for around 400.00 if you take your time..

Sam

--- what guns in my price range would you suggest from sata and iwata?

i was just reading some, and found out the devil plus wasnta hvlp gun :/ that overspray is a major concern with it.

Underground 06-09-2010 03:40 PM

Go to tcp globals web site. They have most paint guns there. The Plus puts out the SAME amount of over spray as ANY SATA. Like I said, I was a Sata only guy until a year ago.

Mfoehrkolb 06-09-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underground
Go to tcp globals web site. They have most paint guns there. The Plus puts out the SAME amount of over spray as ANY SATA. Like I said, I was a Sata only guy until a year ago.

--- i was looking at a iwata lp400 but that is so damned pricey and out of my range... maybe once i start pulling multiple cars a week, but now i am only doing a like 4-5 cars a month atm.

and i still am relatively a novice.

i will probably end up just getting the devil plus. its in my price range just that its not HVLP is kinda weird.

jeremyb 06-09-2010 05:25 PM

what is your compressor set up? That is something you need to take into consideration when choosing between a hvlp or non hvlp. A non-hvlp will use more air (such as an iwata-W400 or Sata-RP). My pick is the iwata lph400. If you look around enough you can find one at a decent price. I bought one from my previous boss (though it was a w400) for $150. It was only used for a year or 2 (not everyday use). Even if it is out of your price range, it will be worth the extra money..trust me. If you are planning on doing this for a living, you need to make the investment on a top quality gun that will serve you for years to come. I've had my lph400 for over 3 years now and have never looked back.

Mfoehrkolb 06-09-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyb
what is your compressor set up? That is something you need to take into consideration when choosing between a hvlp or non hvlp. A non-hvlp will use more air (such as an iwata-W400 or Sata-RP). My pick is the iwata lph400. If you look around enough you can find one at a decent price. I bought one from my previous boss (though it was a w400) for $150. It was only used for a year or 2 (not everyday use). Even if it is out of your price range, it will be worth the extra money..trust me. If you are planning on doing this for a living, you need to make the investment on a top quality gun that will serve you for years to come. I've had my lph400 for over 3 years now and have never looked back.

its a 120g tank i belive and its somewhere near 18-20cfm... if i remember off the top of my head. i am using the purple HF guns at around 33-35psi at the handle and the compressor goes on once while im doing the entire car.

air supply is non of my concern considering the set up i am using now, i am just not having problems.

you say spend the extra for the gun... but the thing is... if its my budget, its the budget im sticking to. i literally dont have the money to put up for the other gun. or i gladly would. i just cant afford like another 100-125 for a iwata400.

Cottonyzf 06-09-2010 08:31 PM

I bought my Iwata lph400 lv used off ebay for 265 in excellent condition. I also just missed one local on CL for 300...and it had all 3 tips (orange, purple, and silver)! Just keep looking...the deals are out there.

Mfoehrkolb 06-09-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottonyzf
I bought my Iwata lph400 lv used off ebay for 265 in excellent condition. I also just missed one local on CL for 300...and it had all 3 tips (orange, purple, and silver)! Just keep looking...the deals are out there.

--- i was reading that the 400 was kinda lame to do entire cars with because yuo cant go fast. its a slower paced gun " " from another member on this forum.

Cottonyzf 06-09-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mfoehrkolb
--- i was reading that the 400 was kinda lame to do entire cars with because yuo cant go fast. its a slower paced gun " " from another member on this forum.

I read the same thing before buying mine, but after using it I just don't see that. Maybe I'm just a slow painter. I did read somewhere that you could paint faster with the purple or orange caps, but so far I only have the silver.

Mfoehrkolb 06-09-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottonyzf
I read the same thing before buying mine, but after using it I just don't see that. Maybe I'm just a slow painter. I did read somewhere that you could paint faster with the purple or orange caps, but so far I only have the silver.

--- non the less, i still need a new gun with in the next say... 3-4 days.

i am looking but i doubt its going to happen... me getting the iwata 400...

what are my other options besides for a devil plus?

Underground 06-10-2010 07:02 AM

look at TCP global. They have lots of guns. Countilaw said he uses the Finishline, I think, and said he loves it. I haven't used the lvh 400, but I know the Iwata I DID use was an EXTREMELY slow gun. If you like the speed of a SATA, it is REAL hard to get used to going slow. And the older Iwatas had a very narrow pattern so not only were you going slow, but you were having to go over the same panel COUNTLESS times. :pain: BUT, me personally, I like to paint fast that's why I loved satas.

Mfoehrkolb 06-10-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underground
look at TCP global. They have lots of guns. Countilaw said he uses the Finishline, I think, and said he loves it. I haven't used the lvh 400, but I know the Iwata I DID use was an EXTREMELY slow gun. If you like the speed of a SATA, it is REAL hard to get used to going slow. And the older Iwatas had a very narrow pattern so not only were you going slow, but you were having to go over the same panel COUNTLESS times. :pain: BUT, me personally, I like to paint fast that's why I loved satas.

--- I just sprayed a 94 4door
civic today... I really hate the HD purple gun I have lol... I was using a new clear today. It was a high solid clear, from klines auto. Their paint line...

I had to have the needle out almost all the way and the pressure at around 37 at the handle... I had to be like 3-4 inches from the panel and the overspray was horrid...

All I know is I have lots of wetsanding to do tomorrow...

I can't stress enough that a new gun has to be purchased before the next car I paint...