Astro guns - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Andy, A question I have for you is are you anytime in the near future planning on spraying water born base. If you are, I would recommend either the W 400 or the LPH 400. If you are not spraying water born and sticking to solvent based base coats the Devilbus GTI Millennium. It's not only a great clear gun but for solvent base coats it does a more than respectable job. The web-site you posted has one for $350.00. That's a good deal.

Like I mentioned paint guns are very much a personal preference and all I can do is relate my experiences. I do have several GFG 670's and I use them for primmer, a good amount of product with respectable atomization when using heavy bodied material...Now that's not a knock on the GFG, it's just that it is older technology and for a slight difference in price you can own something that is proven to lay clear down beautifully.

Yes I like a gun that puts the clear down...I'm a firm believer in the old sayings "forget (you know what I mean) the runs, shoot for shine" and "lay it on God hates a coward". The GTI will give you the ability to put the material on the way you want it to look and as far as over spray goes, I do try to minimize over spray. Although the GTI has more over spray than the Iwata, in my humble opinion, it does lay the clear down nicer.

GFG's are OK...but...for actually painting a car I think you may tire of it easily...just doesn't break up the material like the other guns I mentioned.

Yes I like Devilbus, I also like Sata and Iwata. They all have a different purpose and do a different job for the way I paint and what material I'm using.

I hope this answer your questions. I know I'm not coming out and saying this is the gun for you. I can't do that. I can however listen to what your saying and try to give you the advice you need to purchase a gun that is going to suite your needs now and in the future.

If you have any more questions or if I haven't answered a question to your satisfaction, ask again, I'll try and help in any way I can.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboat View Post
Nova, I am only repeating what I have read as I have no first hand experience with these particular guns.

The GFG670 Plus has been a very well liked gun on all forums that includes several tips. It has been around for awhile now.

However, the hot Devilbiss at the present time is the "Copper" Tekna with the 7E7 aircap. On some other forums this is "the" gun to get unless you are willing to shell out for a Sata or Iwata.

It is only about $40 more than the Plus on Ebay at $339 with free shipping.

I am sure that any of the guns that you are considering are great. I am just throwing out another gun consideration to make your decision process more difficult, lol.

DeVilbiss Tekna Copper High Efficiency Spray Gun w 1 3 1 4 Tips Dekup Ready | eBay
Thanks for the post Fireboat...you are right, the Tekna would be an excellent choice. I have sprayed with it and it is an excellent gun and an excellent option for Novafreak. It's one of those things where I don't have it in my arsenal so it didn't come to mind. Sold many of them, loved by the customer and priced respectably. Sorry Andy, another gun on the shopping list. I would rate it quite a bit above the GFG and just below the GTI. You would not go wrong with a Tekna.

Paint guns sure aren't like buying a steal 2 X 4...here you have many options.
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
novafreek6872 (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

thanks guys, I'm more confused than ever...

just kidding... I have plenty of time to think about and research my gun choice.

Definitely interested in that new Tekna gun too...

Whatever I get will be heaven compared to the HF guns I have used, although I gotta say when they are spraying right they are spraying RIGHT. At least with single stage I used on my car.

I want to get started on my vette repaint, just trying to figure out heating the garage right now and if I should just hold off till spring... Its gonna be a long winter waiting and planning....

Andy
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Andy, don't worry, I'm glad Fireboat chimed in because the Tekna is an excellent gun and would be one of the recommended...Whatever choice you make it will work for you...Good on you for getting all the information before you buy.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Hey Andy...I just sent Fireboat a private message and thanked him for the input on the Tekna paint gun...I've done a lot of thinking about it and I even called a few of my old customers to see if they still where using the gun that I sold them and discussed your situation. It was a resounding yes that it would be a good investment for you. I do remember that I did like the balance, metallic control, the way it laid clear down, (I did a 50 Merc Convertible with Ghost Flames with the Tekna...air brushed the flames of course with my dagr) the price is right and it's water born compatible.

Not very often do I say "this is what you need" and I'm still hedging on making that statement but when you factor in the price, the performance and the vesatility being that it is water born compatible...I would lean towards this gun, I know you would love it.

Best to You
Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
novafreek6872 (11-01-2012)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.