Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Astro Van Front End
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 09:47 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I've owned Astro's since '86... I actually designed the instrument cluster/gauge package for them. I have also parted out a "couple" of them...
They have always been a sub-framed vehicle. Nothing has changed in the chassis dept since their introduction in '85 other then a switch from graphite to steel rear leaf springs in '93 or '94. They used "B" body (Caprice, Parsienne, big Cadillac, etc.) front spindles, bearings, brakes and suspension bushings up until '97 or '98 when the switch was made to later model components. There is no similarity to an S10 chassis other then the AWD Astro's do use a few S10 parts in their torsion bar suspension.
The motors come out through the front by using a lift plate bolted to the intake and a cherry picker bolted direct to the plate (no chain) to keep the lift height low. This is easiest on pre '95 vans where the radiator bulkhead unbolts. After '95 the bulkhead is all one piece and needs to be cut to get it out of the way. Small blocks bolt right in on stock mounts and Big Blocks also fit with a little clearancing on the doghouse for rocker cover clearance.
This is all the stuff I have learned by doing and while researching my "BADAST" Astro Van build-up. If you have any questions just holler.
Mark

Last edited by astroracer; 03-06-2005 at 09:53 AM.