attempt to alter laws of physics plagued by "technical difficulties" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

attempt to alter laws of physics plagued by "technical difficulties"

Recall Steorn, the company that we've discussed before? They are the ones who claim to have produced magnet-powered "free energy" with their "Orbo" invention, suitable for powering devices "ranging from portable music players to cars".

Quote:
Orbo produces free, clean and constant energy - that is our claim. By free we mean that the energy produced is done so without recourse to external source. By clean we mean that during operation the technology produces no emissions. By constant we mean that with the exception of mechanical failure the technology will continue to operate indefinitely.

The sum of these claims for our Orbo technology is a violation of the principle of conservation of energy, perhaps the most fundamental of scientific principles. The principle of the conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created or destroyed, it can only change form.
Steorn's universe-altering invention was supposed to be demo'ed today. But, unfortunately, there were some "technical difficulties" caused by "intense heat from the camera lighting". So, it looks like humanity is going to have to wait until Steorn fixes their cameras. Then, they should have no problem changing the fundamental laws of physics.

World's first free energy demonstration

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Last journal entry: Another alternator bracket change
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Someones going to get something like this to actually work. I only hope I'm alive to see it.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:15 PM

Last journal entry:
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dangit... they stole my idea! I have $20 down that I create unlimited power before they do.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

Must have been all that extraneous energy input that got poor Orbo all confused.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:

I built one of these things once, but as soon as I fired it up it sped off into deep space at an exponentially increasing rate of acceleration never to be seen again.

I couldn't get my camera up quick enough to get a snapshot and the dog ate the blueprints so I was never able to reproduce it.

Too bad.

Anyways I thought NXS had this one figured out already...

PS: Jon, the demonstration that you linked to seems to have hyper-accelerated off somewhere also.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:59 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Snake Oil????
Shane
Old 07-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I didn't read the original claim but the excerpt you show states one of the laws of thermodynamics. If conservation of energy was the only law that pertained, then it would be conceivable to come up with some contraption that could transfer energy indefinitely. However even then it could do no useful work or it would be consumed. There is no such thing as free energy. I am assuming however that the 'inventors' stop there and ignore the second law (common mistake made by inventors of all perpetual motion machines/free energy devices/self propelling spaceships you name it). That law states that energy cannot be used, transferred, or otherwise manipulated without an increase in entropy. In English, this law means that even though energy is conserved, when it is transferred, there is a lost in usability of that energy. You burn 1 gallon of gasoline and get 1/4 gallon worth of work out of it. You consume 100watts of electricity and get 95 watts worth of light/power/ whatever from it. You bounce a rubber ball 10' high, the next bounce will be 9.9' high. Start a top spinning and it will eventually stop. Implications of these few simple laws are staggering and folks spend lifetimes working with applications of them. Of course they are pop culture favorites for disproving perpetual motion. But they are incredibly more expansive than that. For example, they prove the universe had a beginning and will have an end. It isn't infinite. They disprove spontaneous generation of life. They disprove evolution. And on, and on, and on.

Amazing how this science 101 basic principle is unknown. Either most people have not taken Jr. Hi science or more likely slept through it.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
I didn't read the original claim but the excerpt you show states one of the laws of thermodynamics. If conservation of energy was the only law that pertained, then it would be conceivable to come up with some contraption that could transfer energy indefinitely. However even then it could do no useful work or it would be consumed. There is no such thing as free energy. I am assuming however that the 'inventors' stop there and ignore the second law (common mistake made by inventors of all perpetual motion machines/free energy devices/self propelling spaceships you name it). That law states that energy cannot be used, transferred, or otherwise manipulated without an increase in entropy. In English, this law means that even though energy is conserved, when it is transferred, there is a lost in usability of that energy. You burn 1 gallon of gasoline and get 1/4 gallon worth of work out of it. You consume 100watts of electricity and get 95 watts worth of light/power/ whatever from it. You bounce a rubber ball 10' high, the next bounce will be 9.9' high. Start a top spinning and it will eventually stop. Implications of these few simple laws are staggering and folks spend lifetimes working with applications of them. Of course they are pop culture favorites for disproving perpetual motion. But they are incredibly more expansive than that. For example, they prove the universe had a beginning and will have an end. It isn't infinite. They disprove spontaneous generation of life. They disprove evolution. And on, and on, and on.

Amazing how this science 101 basic principle is unknown. Either most people have not taken Jr. Hi science or more likely slept through it.
Willys, you take all the fun out of it...now if we could only devise a self powered gasser with no parasitic loss of energy that would feed itself in constantly increasing proportions that would be a hoot!

Seriously, I respect people that attempt to create new things, but they are going to have to do a better job of proving themselves than this. Who knows, maybe someday a way around the existing laws of physics will be discovered...so I hope people keep trying.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yes it would be fun and I would be the first to cheer. But if and when it happens, it won't be hampered by a couple 100W light bulbs at it's debut. If something like that worked, it would be moving continents or maybe readjusting the orbit of Jupiter, after it finished supplying the earth with infinite free energy.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Stuck in the past.

Last photo:

Kind of reminds me of Dehydrated H2O, just add water and stir.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
Yes it would be fun and I would be the first to cheer. But if and when it happens, it won't be hampered by a couple 100W light bulbs at it's debut. If something like that worked, it would be moving continents or maybe readjusting the orbit of Jupiter, after it finished supplying the earth with infinite free energy.
Well, we are always devising things that will undo us in the future...so who knows.

Imagine the consequences of readjusting the orbit of jupiter...after al it would probably end in our destruction, but hey; isn't that what science is all about: explanation with no regard to life?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

I have fitted Surefire Lightening spark plugs which guarantee 20% more miles to the gallon.

I have fitted the G-Force exhaust extractor which guarantee 15% more miles to the gallon.

I have fitted a magical thing into my fuel line which converts regular Gas into Rocket Fuel and guarantee 25% more miles to the gallon.

I have put Molyslip additives into my engine/gearbox oil which reduces friction and guarantee 20% more miles to the gallon.

I have fitted electronic ignition and fuel injection which guarantee 25% more miles to the gallon.

Can anyone tell me why my fuel tank does not overflow every 60 miles.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosstrooper
I have fitted Surefire Lightening spark plugs which guarantee 20% more miles to the gallon.

I have fitted the G-Force exhaust extractor which guarantee 15% more miles to the gallon.

I have fitted a magical thing into my fuel line which converts regular Gas into Rocket Fuel and guarantee 25% more miles to the gallon.

I have put Molyslip additives into my engine/gearbox oil which reduces friction and guarantee 20% more miles to the gallon.

I have fitted electronic ignition and fuel injection which guarantee 25% more miles to the gallon.

Doc here,

SIMPLE..

It's that Steorm "Orbo" Pressure Sealed Gas Cap your using...

Without that..you'd suffer perpetual motion overflow...what a mess the highway system would be..

Doc
Old 07-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosstrooper

Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

This kinda reminds me of the old "you can't get there from here" argument. First you have to go half way, then half way again, then half way again, ad infinitum.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.