Hot Rod Forum banner

Attempt to hone?

721 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  1935 chevy 
#1 ·
I just bought a 75 C20 without an engine and trans. I have a 350 out of a 92 2500 that I planned to drop in the truck, the engine came out of a truck with only 86k miles. It's sat in a building for the last 15 years, I pulled the heads off yesterday just to make sure nothing was wrong before I drop it in the 75. I'm sure glad I did, a few cylinders had water in them.

I don't have the time or money at the moment to go through a complete rebuild so I am going to ask, would I be completely wasting my time and effort attempting to hone the cylinders? If that did work I would obviously need to atleast re ring the engine. Machine shops are pretty scarce around here, and the few that's we do have, take months to get anything done.

I have never tore into a engine that has had this problem before, which is why I'm coming to you guys to get opinions. I attached a few photos. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The engine needs to be rebuilt. Water in the cylinders will leak down into the crankcase so you probably have rusted rod and main journals also. Pull the pan to verify.
If there is pitting in the cylinder walls it will need to be bored out to remove the pitting. That means new pistons as well.
In my opinion, if you have no access to a decent machine shop, you would be farther ahead ordering a short block and being done with it. Not knowing what you are doing or having the right equipment to do this correctly is a waste of time and money.
Mark

#4 ·
Good question and I have asked this on other forums. I have been told when I asked not to waste my time with it. But when I have asked about engine builds I have been told just hone it? So?

Kinda why I joined here, seems alot of experience and common sense.

I have not seen anyone post results of hone only and reassembly. Have seen a lot of guys say just do that and save money but I have yet to see actual success, guess I could search.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I have not pulled the oil pan off yet but I would bet there will be problems down there as well. I bought the truck for a good price as a roller knowning that I had this 350 sitting in storage and a TH400 trans. I have too many projects going on now, I really don't want to get into a full rebuild. Back to storage for the engine I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.