Attention Finishing Fellows - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 09:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Attention Finishing Fellows

I am about to start a new phase of my project ... which is to totally strip back to bare metal my 1947 Miller-Meteor Ambulance. That's right ... all 24 feet and 6000 lbs of aging heavy Detroit Cadillac steel. From what I can see, it appears to have a lit of surface rust. there is only one small place that has been rotted through. The finish is totally alligatored. So, in your best estimation, what would be the best way to totally strip this car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caddy16.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2026  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2004, 04:15 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Man that looks like a fun project! If it was me, I would try on a fender first and figure out which method works best. The use that for the rest of the car.

You can sand blast if you use a small blaster with lower pressure. Not the commercial ones that will warp everything that it doesn't eat away. You don't want to hold it in one place too long. You would need to work at it slowly. I am CHEAP, and when doing large parts, I put down a tarp to catch the sand. I then recycle it by running it thru a screen. It can be used 2 or 3 times before it gets too fine to cut anything.

You can try some of that aircraft stripper on it. That stuff works pretty good on most all finishes, but is messy.

You can also try sanding it with about 80 grit paper. That works good for most of the finishes and removing rust. I tried that on some 26 Model T parts and the original paint just laughed at it. I guess that is why it has lasted as long as it did.

No matter what way you go, make sure that you cover the clean metal soon to prevent corrosion. It starts almost immediatly after the metal is bare.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:36 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

blast it.......you won't warp that metal..................

Budget RVs
Old 07-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
all 24 feet and 6000 lbs of aging heavy Detroit Cadillac steel
Only part of those were made in Detroit. Usually just the chassis and nose. My father used to work on tiose when they were built in Bellefontaine Ohio and when they moved to Piqua Ohio. He was a bodyman on the Hearses and Ambulances. And like Poncho says....sandblast...that metal is thicker than 4 Hondas put together. Looking forward to seeing some restoration pics.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.