Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - attention machinists...need opinions on cyl head repair
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 03:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

attention machinists...need opinions on cyl head repair

Hi guys,
it's been a while... been busy finishing my boat project. This aint't your typical sbc chev question. I have a turbocharged,aftercooled diesel 6 cyl (volvo)... okay it aint no hotrod, but its a pretty hot engine. everything was great up until it broke a valve spring and swallowed an exhaust valve . got the engine shut down pretty quick... a new piston and valves in that hole will clean it up, but after subsequent inspection it revealed cracks between the intake and exhaust seats in adjacent cylinders($$$). a replacement head new is $9000 and a reman is $5000. I have found a place that does the lock-nstitch repair which eliminates the welding process. just wondering if the repair with this process is a good fix for 21:1 compression. I understand this is a common problem in diesels. should I do the remaining two cylinders to eliminate future occurances (4/6 are cracked). cannot find a core. any thoughts or wisdom appreciated. Thanks. hope you don't mind straying outside the boundaries a little on the "hotrod" in question.