Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - attention machinists...need opinions on cyl head repair
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 10:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

thanks to all for your replies. I would have gone with the welding, but could not find anybody locally that gave me a sense of confidence that they do this with any frequency. I did a little reading on the net and the new technology utilizes straight pins with an under cut face which acts to wedge the material together instead of apart when driven in as a taper would. They also are designed with a break-away head that snaps off at the designed torque they will seat at ( and to ensure all pins are seated with the same pressure.). I was mostly wondering about first hand experience in the long haul. These guys seem reputable and assure me that they only weld as a last resort if the shapes involved will not work with the pins. I'll let you know how it works out. it seems like if it survives in a diesel application, it may be able to with stand hi-po applications as well. The down side is 3-4 hours at $67/hr per cylinder. still cheaper than the reman though....just barely.