Hot Rod Forum banner

Attention Transmission Guys....dust cover question....

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Deuce 
#1 ·
:D

My 32 Roadster sits low. It has a SBC and a 400 Turbo. I have drug the bottom off 3 dust covers in the past 9 years. Not really OFF but mashed in, drug thin or tore.

I know that most Turbo 350 and Turbo 400 dust covers will interchange. My question is........

Is there a shallow dust cover that will fit? Maybe a Corvette, modify a 700R4 or what. I have been told a 350 Turbo cover for a Vega or V8 Monza is shorter.

I have 3 that are all different ( about 1/2 inch at the most ). I need a full inch to a inch and a half if possible.

Thanks for looking.

DEUCE, General Rodding Tech Moderator

:thumbup:

#4 ·
dust cover

I have never seen a cover that was small enough for what you ask.What does the rest of the bottom of the car look like as far as what hits the ground? If the cover is large enough to cover flywheel thats what its supposed to do keep things out like rocks dirt and other things that might cause damage ... the do make a cover from 4x4 that is aluminum, it is a bit larger and can be broken. you cant bend it up thou!!!

#6 ·
I have not heard of this problem until now, but admit, it is a good question.

If there was a severe need to refrain from this scraping problem, wouldn't a small cage incorporating wheels similar to skateboard wheels bolted to both the engine and transmission pan rails be one of many solutions?

The only major problem with this suggestion is it could look like a hack job at best.

My only bad experience with a flywheel cover was while off road, a dent occured and allowed the cover to contact the flexplate.

I am currently looking to re-install a cover on my Malibu for two reasons,
1. To cover the flexplate and torque convertor, for a more finished look under the car.
2. To cover the flexplate and convertor, and NOT have points deducted for missing or damaged parts on the car while being judged in car shows.

#7 ·
Crosley said:
I would think the engine oil pan would get smacked too?
Or at least be close to getting hit

True......so true

The engine oil pan has been scraped a little............but the dust cover is about 1 and 1/4 inches lower SO it gets it worse. We have some KILLER speed bumps around here.

It's low but not crazy, stupid kind of low. I set the engine/transmission too low when the chassis was being built.....about 3/4 of a inch too low.

I guess I will have to fab up a shortened, sectioned dust cover.

:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.