Hot Rod Forum banner

Attitude adjustments...What it is now

5K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
new project need advice

i bought a 37 ford truck complete cab. im just building a rat. i have some box tubing for my frame, but am wondering what would be a good cheap used set up for front suspension?

#6 ·
I'm with the posters above. If you can find an affordable straight axle set up, go with that. It will provide the cleanest and most traditional look. However, keep in mind that your total cost may go well beyond the pieces you find at a swap meet. As Pasadenahotrod mentioned, you'll no doubt want to upgrade that old 30s/40/s straight axle with more modern brakes and spindles and if may also need other upgrades as well.

Also, being HR.Coms resident twin I-beam junkie, I can't pass up the opportunity to plug the Ford setup. There are a zillion of these twin I-beams out there in the bone yards, they are inexpensive, and they come with modern spindles and disk brakes. Here's how it looks under a full fendered car and also a fenderless car. Just another option to consider.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
playsinthedirt said:
is that twin i beams from like a ranger?
As Home Brew points out, these are F-150 suspension systems. The one in the red pickup is from a '78 and the one in the roadster is an '81. I'm also currently putting together another chassis which will have the beams from a '79.

Personally, I don't think the Ranger beams are really appropriate. They are shorter than the F-150 beams and they are quite "modern" in appearance. I also don't use F-150 beams made after 1981 because they changed the style and they no longer have the drop forged traditional look.

#14 ·
playsinthedirt said:
hmmm previous to this discovery my biggest concearn about building a roadster hot rod was front suspension. i think i could get some i beam for not too much, and apparently make it look real nice
They are a bit on the heavy side but that is not all bad..I am using one on my project and having all stock Ford brakes front and rear makes things a bit easier at the parts store when one needs pads and rotors and such..

Sam

#17 ·
scheiderer68 said:
hmmm down syndrome,1986 dodge daytona.it takes two seconds to look it up at google.com.
Pasadenahotrod and others on this thread were simply trying to respond to your question(s) scheidere68. I'd really be interested in understanding why you think an insulting response like this is necessary.

#24 ·
scheiderer68 said:
wow, the name calling police.
Fortunately for you, I'm NOT the police. If I were, your ticket would have been pulled the moment you used this forum to ridicule and disparage the mentally and physically handicapped with your "Downs Syndrome" remark aimed at Pasadenahotrod.

Let me put it to you as simply as I can. This is not a web site which condones making fun of the mentally ill or using the conditions suffered by the mentally ill to make fun of others. I'm sure there are plenty of sites on the web where you would be welcome to spew that sort of attitude. HR.Com just doesn't happen to be one of those sites.

I would humbly request that you refrain from similar remarks in the future.

#26 ·
Thanks for your consideration.
I had thought the comment about mounting the nose of an 86 Daytona to a 37 Ford pickup cab was a joke. If I cared what an 86 Daytona was, or is, I may have been capable of looking for it on Google.
I do agree that the Downs Syndrome comment is offensive, to say the least, to those who have loved ones and friends with this condition. You might consider a few hours of sensitivity training and just a smidge of anger management.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.