I pulled my demon off (sounds bad doesn't it?) and checked for a damp or wet base gasket---nope dry as a bone. I checked the transfer slots and noticed that the secondaries were a little closed---I opened them to make sure they matched the fronts and all were at spec. I then removed the base plate and found that two to three holes were 1/4 covered by the gasket. I was unabled to tell if the gasket moved or wether it was drilled wrong. Seems that if making these carbs work correctly is as delicate as it appears, maybe some extra care or double checking of the base gasket might be worthwhile. I gently opened up the holes on the gasket enough to see all 360 degrees of the holes in the baseplate...carefully to not let any debris into the hole itself.
I reassembled the carb on the motor...cranked it up. It seemed to idle better---though still rich....but better.
With my combo (below) I still believe I need to be higher with idle timing and will plan on moving to a new ignition system.
ZZ502 with the following mods:
Decked block for 10-1 CR
File fit rings
Crane Solid Roller cam 615/630 300 dur
Crane Race Roller Rockers
Ported GMPP Oval Port alum heads
Port matched Edelbrock Victor JR intake
HEI Dist with upgraded module