ATTN: IROC-Z owners and former owners... - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Heres the one I just bought yesterday...1500.00 and the guy drove it over to the shop....I drove it around a couple time getting parts and materials for the shop and it needs a tune up but I can sure see why you guys love these cars so much.I looked and it has the suspension package but its got drum brakes.
I found something else out ,my red one isnt an Iroc its a Z-28..The hood and the rear disc brakes through me off...when they were side by side and I was comparing them the only difference I could see was the emblem on the dash on the red one said camaro and the black one said Iroc-Z....When I opened the console door ,there were all the codes (thanks) now I'll have something to do at nite looking them all up and finding out exactly what they are.... Something I didnt know was this guy bought this black one new....
So begining this week I'll start stripping it to the metal and giving it a super straight paint job...with any luck I'll sell it for @ 5,000 maybe 4,500 and make a couple bucks...If I dont keep it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7792.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	69077   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7793.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	69078   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7794.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	879.3 KB
ID:	69079   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7795.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	69080  

Advertisement

Last edited by deadbodyman; 11-10-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ur red one does not have the correct tail lights on it if it is a true z28.
z-28 has the same tailights as the iroc after 1984
the tailights it has on it now are early z-28, and or rs model taillights

nice iroc if i was close id make u a cash offer on it as it sits
Old 11-10-2012, 07:45 PM

fer real??? I'm pretty sure they're stock,so what do you think it is. I'd hate to misrepresent it when I sell it. It has Z-28 on the rocker flaresand back bumper but camero on the dash but it has a disc rear end. and its an 85 which I thought was the first year??and a louverd hood.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 11-10-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
fer real??? I'm pretty sure they're stock,so what do you think it is. I'd hate to misrepresent it when I sell it. It has Z-28 on the rocker flaresand back bumper but camero on the dash but it has a disc rear end. and its an 85 which I thought was the first year??and a louverd hood.

it is possible that im 1 year off on the tailights, i can dbl check that for u though.

the early cars are much harder to identify then say 86 and up by looking at them

the camaro emblems are really throwing me off though, as far as i know only base model and rs would have the camaro lettering in the inset on the rear bumper. and all others would say z28 or iroc on the passenger side , dont recall ever seeing a z28/iroc having the camaro lettering on the driver side with the z28/iroc badge on the right

rpo codes would deff be the way to go when checking out what it is.

and if ur still unsure after that u can post up on the history forum on thirdgen.org bunch of guys over there know alot more then i do and can tell u exactly what it is for sure

my earliest f-body was an 86 so im really alot more familiar with the 86-92's as i didnt really care for the 82-85's
Old 11-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Dead. Is the red car a 5 speed? If its a auto... I would swap the rear into the black car... IMO, it would make it more desirable and worth more. How many miles on the black one??
Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

i wa sable to dig up some old pics of some of mine

my 86 iroc(383/5speed) and 89 rs which is my turbocharged v6 car

86 iroc 383/5speed

my 89 rs ( turboed car) with the iroc wheels taillights and cowl hood

and heres my other 86 iroc built a hot lil 355 for it to replace the wore out 305

thats just a couple of my 3rd gen f-bodys lol

and i was off as u can see my 86 has the same tailights, also notice the grill on the front of the 86 , this grill later got replaced in 87 with the open grill on the z28 and irocs from 87 on

Last edited by Project89; 11-10-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Dead, he repainted that car once...they put the IROC decals in the wrong spot... how the heck do you mess something like that up!!??
Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

SU-WEET !!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872 View Post
Dead, he repainted that car once...they put the IROC decals in the wrong spot... how the heck do you mess something like that up!!??
great eyes man i didnt even catch that when i looked at the picture
Old 11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
great eyes man i didnt even catch that when i looked at the picture
At first it looked more off than it actually is...but its a couple inches high I think. They dont have the lower stripe on there and I believe it sits almost right on top of that.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872 View Post
At first it looked more off than it actually is...but its a couple inches high I think. They dont have the lower stripe on there and I believe it sits almost right on top of that.
yup look at the first picture of my iroc and u can see were it should be with or without the stripes
Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project89 View Post
it is possible that im 1 year off on the tailights, i can dbl check that for u though.

the early cars are much harder to identify then say 86 and up by looking at them

the camaro emblems are really throwing me off though, as far as i know only base model and rs would have the camaro lettering in the inset on the rear bumper. and all others would say z28 or iroc on the passenger side ,
Mine says camaro (only on the pass side dash) and Z-28 on the bumper and rocker moldings...I'll get more familar with the RPO codes as I go just to be sure but theres a ton of them,I started writing them down on paper but half way through it was just takin to long. so I took a pic of the them insted but they didnt come out so well and are useless...Tomorrow I'll take the cover off and bring it home so I can check them...
What cars came with the louverd hood ? Z-28's and Iroc's I thought,but I know very little about these cars,66 -69's are more my thing.finished a big block 396 SS/RS a couple years ago and got a 68 RS all tore apart and on the dolly waiting for extra time,but these are all new to me.
Heck if a Z-28 aint worth much and nobody wants them I'll just strip it down for parts for my ole P/U like I originally planned,it' d be a shame though but I dont have any real money in it,500.00+ ,fuel pump (done three times) (what a pita)I'm no mechanic and it took 6hrs the first time and had to do it a second time because I went with a used one from a trucktank that was just layin around and quit workin after 3hrs... then got a cheapo that lasted a couple days ,cost 60-80.00 finally learned my lesson and got the best one, so far its holding up pretty wel..They say it's because of the ethonal that tears them up,I dont know but the last time I did the pump in 2hrs but now the gas gauge dont work so I gotta do it all again, and then a basic tune up ,cap, rotor ,plugs and wires...Another PITA because this cap has 4 bolts insted of the spring clips so I had to bring it back on the red one ... Black one too because I forgot to check it at the store...Oh well at least I'm getting pretty darn fast at those intank fuel pumps ,everyone says they are about the hardest to fix...Sawzall and a welder sure cuts the time down.
Ok,so heres a question for the pros...When it comes to the cap. rotor. wires and plugs what brands do I want to get if I just want something as good as OEM? I went with ac delco but I havent started installing anything so it not to late to exchange.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

the red one is a z-28 i was of fon my years

on any f-body i get if i have to do a fuel pump i cut an access door in the hatch area , and make a bolt down cover with weather striping to seal it. takes me 10 minutes to get to the pump if i have to change it or go in the tank for any reason.

i try to buy ac delco parts when ever i can

z28-iroc-rs all are worth some money in good clean condition, as clean good condition cars are getting much harder to find.
10 years ago u could pick up a mint car for 1k , today a mint clean car is 5-7

a clean v6 rs is the exception great condition those sell for around 2-3k
Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

MORE INSRIRATION... :-)

Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 AM

Today I'll be painting a truck so between coats I;ll be checking out bumper covers...I hope I can find some that are reasonable...

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.