Hot Rod Forum banner

Audiovox Cruise and LED's not compatable.

12K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  StreetRodElectrics 
#1 ·
I'm starting this thread basically to point to another thread http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/meaning-these-electrical-terms-118984.html so that the information will be easier to find with this more appropriate thread title.

I run an Audiovox CSS 100 Cruise in my '32 pickup and recently installed LED rear tail lights. Shortly thereafter I discovered that my cruise control no longer worked.

After three days of thrashing (and lots of help from Doc, Rob, and others here at HR.Com) we discovered that the Audiovox will not operate without regular, incandescent bulbs (or comparable resistors) in the wiring for the rear brake/turn signal wiring system.

So if you are contemplating this particular combination of parts (Audiovox cruise and LED lights) read the thread I linked above and it will give you all the dope on making this setup work.

BTW, no one needs to respond to this post. Just use it as a pointer to the other info.

#3 ·
Dewey,
I have a Rostra (Dakota Digital/Flaming River and most others) and it too requires a load to operate as well. You can do it either through a relay (their recommendation) or by using electronic flashers or in my case, the ceramic resistors sold by Watson's Street works.

Mine are those two rectangular items on the bracket to the right of the module and just in back of that rocker switch:

Dave W

#4 ·
Just a note...this thread is from 2007 and, as noted, was created only for the purpose of making it easier for those using the search function to find the solution in the link provided.

This issue was resolved many years ago. And the link above, http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mea...rms-118984.html, points directly to the solution(s). For those who might might feel they have alternatives to those solutions, I think the best place to put them is in that original thread. That way, all the info will remain together in one place. I think it would also be good to have Dave's info on the Rasta copied or moved over to that original thread for the benefit of other Rasta owners.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll be sure to post on both threads just to be certain it finds all people interested.

One option that is probably the easiest to install is to add a 'LED Dummy Load'. It is installed inline with the LED light you are trying to get working. It provides resistance that a normal bulb would usually provide. With tail lights, you will need one 'dummy load' installed inline with each tail light.

The dummy load can be found here (http://***************.

Hope this helps!

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum StreetRodElectrics......I am sure that Dave is thankful for your help, but......Sorry, but I had to delete your link.....If you read our guidelines, a business owner (or rep) is not allowed to put links to his company......

You can however PM the link to Dave if you like....

thanks
BTW, the link did not show the item......said "item not found"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.