August 19, 1945 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2005, 04:13 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

August 19, 1945

I've noticed that there are U.S. veterans of foreign wars who post on here and thought some might find it interesting to read a newspaper that was printed onboard a ship at the end of World War II. This was a special edition that was printed just 4 days after they learned they were going to New York instead of Manila. They had boarded the ship on August 7, 1945 in Leghorn, Italy.

"It was another announcement . . . probably that troops would have to continue fire drills until they got the time down to three minutes or less . . . but no, this was an announcement in a very quiet dull-like tone . . . "The ship's destination has been changed to New York...Wow!!! Talk about celebrations . . . 3,000 men went absolutely nuts . . . Guys cried . . . G.I.'s screamed, "We're going home buddy . . . we're going home . . . we're on the way . . . I'll be home by this time next week . . . Hey man! Washington didn't forget us after all . . . we're going home"

[punctuation unchanged from original]

The only other copy of this paper I've seen online is a transcript with an annoying copyright warning on the website. Such a document, in my opinion, should be freely available to the public. I scanned a copy that was among my father's papers, so I can offer those scans without hindrance. The original was yellowed, but the scans are black on white. There are 9 pages, scanned at high enough resolution for printing rather than reduced for a browser.

http://edge-op.org/images/1945-08-19/

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Those are cool Grouch. I do not have near enough time to flip thru them all right now as I have to leave for work in a few moments. I will continue where I left off when I get home.

My son has an old newsprint from the local sports section,it is from 1927 or something like that. It is of the Baseball team we had here in Lou. It is framed and hanging in his room.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Old Salt

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Grouch, those were great!
Theres a few of us that know what its like to pass Gilbralter headed home. I have seen the insides of the old ships and can't imagine what living conditions were like then. I never pulled into New York, never made it for Fleet Week.
I can tell you the joy of going past the Cheseapeake Bay Tunnel and bridge, then you really know your home. The feelings arriving home are just as special now as then.

Dutch
Old 08-28-2005, 06:38 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I've never been in the service so I can only try to imagine what coming home from a "situation" might be like. What really struck me about this ship's newspaper is that these troops expected to have to go from the European Theater to the Pacific and keep on fighting. One of my great uncles was an engineer who went through that very same scenario.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.