August's "Rust Is A Must" Rat Rods Hotrodders Art Contest Begins Now - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 02:13 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

On thing i feel is essential is learning to use layers in photoshop, some places will allow you to download a PSD or photoshop document to see all the layers made up from an image they create. To me, I use layers constantly in everything and once you get the idea of layers, you'll find it pretty quick. I'd upload one to use of mine but they are HUGE to say the least, I mark all my layers as to what they are and you can turn them off and see what layer is responsible for what part of the image it's making.

I see you have gotten PS7 which is good but not compatable with many of the new and free shapes, images, patterns, brushes, styles and gradients, all are part of photoshop to make neat stuff.

Places like deviantart do have members that will allow you to download a PSD file of their work which may be "Merged or complete" but it gives you an idea of how they put it together.

I prefer at least PS8 CS2 since it has more compatabilities with newer stuff.

I still feel that it's a personal preference of how someone makes their art and the steps they take but good tutorials on the net are found easily and help alot, from beginner to advanced to out of this world.

Unlike others I don't have a grasp on the pen tool or paths, I use the polygonal lasso tool and ut images freehand, since I have access to extremely large images which helps alot, with just that tool, you can cut out a car and simply paint over it with the standard brushes, oryou can use the image and make it posterized, this is the easiest way for some starters.

Guys that do know the pen tool have a great advantage over ones that don't, it's cleaner cuts IMO and can be saved as a path to later outline the image. Once you get the hang of creating layers and adding what is needed and where they go, it gets pretty easy at least for me after about a month at it, others have been doing it for years and can create images in minutes that are works of art no matter how you look at it.

To draw a straight line in photoshop, I use the shape tool and set the weight to lets say 4 pixels. Open a new document, lets say 1024X768 which is standard wallpapers for most and a decent size image to start.

now start a line with the shape tool as a line, you will see at the top in shapes it looks like a slash next to boxes and some other stuff. Hold down the "shift key" and just drag it across however far you would want it to go, it's perfectly straight line now on a new layer as you now see in your pallette.

Now switch to the elipse tool and draw a circle using the same method, hold down "Shift key" and drag across as big as you want the circle, now yo have another layer for say a tire or wheels that is a perfect circle, you can duplicate the layer on the right layer pallete and simply move it to where you want it. now you have two tires and the bottom of the frame of a car. This is basic shapes if it helps.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

Only Racing,

Great advice. As for the pen tool I use it all the time. Makes fast work of clean cut and past for image transfers. I learned how to use it from watching tutorials on you tube. The more you use it the easier it gets. Deadbody man, just be patient and keep practicing. It is a great stress reliever for me and I know the learning curve is kinda steep at first but as with anything it will get easier.

Kurt
Old 08-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:

Here's something I did last year during the winter. It's 1/18 diecast. You guys doing the computer stuff just blows me away, I'm to old to learn how to do that stuff. Anyway here ya go for entry, you did say models were ok right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diecast crop 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	40194   Click image for larger version

Name:	diecast crop 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	40195   Click image for larger version

Name:	diecast 3.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	40196   Click image for larger version

Name:	diecast 4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	40197  
Old 08-22-2009, 06:01 PM

Last journal entry: A years worth of catching up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODDER18
Nice lighting effect. When I first saw it It reminded me of something but I couldn't place it. Then I was going through some books and on the cover of (The Best of Hot Rod) there is picture of a hot rod in the garage with the same lighting. You captured it perfectly. Nice work.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, I've never seen the book...but I guess if it got published it must look pretty decent, so if mine looks similar I'll take that as quite a compliment.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:25 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Iroc,thanks for reminding about those model clubs thats some pretty impressive stuff also and more my speed too thats pretty handy paint work there and I've just been playin around with the buttons for a few days and I'm having a blast,I got some basics books,theres even a photoshop for dummies book I got like these guys say it'll come but its fun. thanks for the new advice guys ill get on those tutorals tonight
Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 PM
build it like you like them

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

buggmann

hey iroc100 i like it i forgot how i loved to build cars like that
i have about 200 cars and trucks i think i will have to pull
my box of cars out and work on one i will put pics of my
50 merc up but im not done with it yet i know their is no rust
but i have not got that far yet pic two is the one that will have
the rust on it i have a dodge t&t it goes with the car it sits on a
flatbed trailer i might have to put pics up after i'm done
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2996 (Custom).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	40198   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2998 (Custom).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	40199  

Last edited by buggmann; 08-22-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODDER18
Only Racing,

Great advice. As for the pen tool I use it all the time. Makes fast work of clean cut and past for image transfers. I learned how to use it from watching tutorials on you tube. The more you use it the easier it gets. Deadbody man, just be patient and keep practicing. It is a great stress reliever for me and I know the learning curve is kinda steep at first but as with anything it will get easier.

Kurt
Kurt, that's exactly why I do it, stress relief PERIOD, it's nice to sit down and do anything and feel good about it cause for me it's not a business, I feel for some who chose this as a business, it can still be fun but it kinda takes away you freedoms to do things like enter a contest or just plain try different approaches.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:21 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC100
Here's something I did last year during the winter. It's 1/18 diecast. You guys doing the computer stuff just blows me away, I'm to old to learn how to do that stuff. Anyway here ya go for entry, you did say models were ok right?
IROC100, I would like to add this to the contest if it's OK with you as an entry, please let me know if you would like to be included, model cars and great talent like this is very cool and is ART IMO.

Woops, I just looked again at what you wrote, consider yourself entered
Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Here is my post, rust sux

Old 08-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Running on empty

Last journal entry: More pics
Last photo:

Only Racing, Go ahead,that what it is there for, I'm not good at computer stuff, but this is something that I can kill sometime with along with some old time hand drawing, nothing like you guys though with the computers.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadetreeBody
Here is my post, rust sux

OK, I'm impressed, even from a low res pic, if you made the top look like the bottom, there should be a place in the "Hall Of Fame" for you !!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM
On The Ragged Edge

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC100
Only Racing, Go ahead,that what it is there for, I'm not good at computer stuff, but this is something that I can kill sometime with along with some old time hand drawing, nothing like you guys though with the computers.

Glad to have you on board, new artists of all kinds are more than welcome guys.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Racing
OK, I'm impressed, even from a low res pic, if you made the top look like the bottom, there should be a place in the "Hall Of Fame" for you !!
I warped/grafted the wing, back glass, tail lights and bumper but everything else was colored and shaded, i could have spent a little more time with the shading but oh well

I used to work a boring night shift mechanic job so i got pretty good with photoshop. I cant chop a top in real life but i work wonders with photoshop

Last edited by ShadetreeBody; 08-23-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 AM

Hey.....what about me? I dont know about computors but that camero reminded meof something ...I do that at the shop It took five years though. Only kidding ...no computor skills there..LOL aw crap ...no rust either....DANG!!..... I found another use for a body hammer though......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2037 (Small).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	40217   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2068 (Small).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	40218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuck on card 002 (Small).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	40219   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6208 (Small).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	40220   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2085 (Small).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	40221  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-24-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 AM

hey shade,heres one fer ya.....hahaha its a joke.. but I really did build this one....talk about dumb a ss , whats worse.......I had so much fun I'd do again and I bought another one.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0127 (Small).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	40222   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0131 (Small).JPG
Views:	78
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	40223   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4131 (Small).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	40224   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5230 (Small).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	40225   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5448 (Small).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	40226  

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.