Hot Rod Forum banner

Australian 9 bolt 7.75 Rear End

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Rhansen 
#1 ·
Got a call from a friend that said he is selling his Australian 9" Positive Traction rear end. This will bolt in my camaro without modification. I know this rear end is better than what I have now a weak GM 10, so im looking for some opinion before I buy this rear end any comments please.
How much Horsepower can this one take?
Is it worth $300.00 that he wants for it?

#2 ·
the australian rear is not better than a gm 10 bolt rear it is about equal except for if you need parts for it good luck getting them.
i would stick with the 10 bolt.
my brother in law has gone through 2 of them in the last year and i dont think he even cracks 300hp he's pretty hard on it though.

#3 ·
Those rears are pretty worthless. I had one in an 87 Camaro w/350TPI and broke it 3 times, 1 axle, 1 differential, and finally the case broke around the differential. The car only ran 14.60's with 1.90 60' times. You'd be money ahead to buy a 12 bolt or a 9" rear. Last time I fixed it I shelled out $1100 and it only held together another 8 months. Total waste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.