auto autos - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

auto autos

Whatcha gonna do when it drives for you?

During some random searching, I ran across Hot Custom Car (software?), which started with the provocative line, "I've found Tim's bits on life post-driving interesting."

That led me to Life After Driving, which in turn led me to:

The Future of Driving, Part I: Robots and Grand Challenges
and
The Future of Driving, Part II: Life after driving
each by Timothy B. Lee

That makes me think hotrods will be a rural and suburban phenomenon in twenty years or so. City streets (and possibly sidewalks) will be buzzing with autonomous vehicles from eggs with individuals to little wheeled boxes zipping between pedestrians' feet delivering pizzas and mail. You'd probably have to go to open country to find room to drive your own vehicle.

Of course, gasoline might be as hard to find as lead paint by then, but I imagine hotrodders will manage, even if they have to refine their own fuel.

One of the more interesting comments following the Life After Driving blog entry ended with:

Quote:
I'm also surprised no one has mentioned the obvious privacy concerns. Everywhere we go could be precisely tracked, and our cars could theoretically be programmed to not even go to certain places at all, or they might receive an official request that we answer a few questions and automatically drive us to the police station to resolve some 'issue' instead of taking us to our desired destination. Or someone presses a big red button and all our cars simply stop dead in their tracks for whatever reason the one in charge of the button wants, like maybe for a random ID check...
Therein lies one of the main reasons hotrodding will survive robotic cars. Hotrodders are not just people who want to tinker and go fast. Hotrodders are just too hard-headed, stubborn, cantankerous and independent to let all the driving be done by someone or something else.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 09:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I vaguely remember an article in one of the Popular Mechanics-type magazines many years ago that had something like that in it. Highways with sensors and conductors in them that would automatically send you wherever you wanted to go. Never figured the driving public would go for it, not around here, anyway.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Ferget cars...

Beam me up, Scotty.

Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-30-2008, 01:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
I vaguely remember an article in one of the Popular Mechanics-type magazines many years ago that had something like that in it. Highways with sensors and conductors in them that would automatically send you wherever you wanted to go. Never figured the driving public would go for it, not around here, anyway.
I had forgotten all about that. The big drawbacks were (a) those sensors would have to be embedded and (b) it wouldn't work where none had been embedded. The first would be a big expense and the second would mean it's not worth adapting the cars until lots of places had the highway sensors. Even then, the cars would have to be made 'smart' enough to avoid temporary obstacles or else the driver would have to be alert just as now.

These new autonomous cars directly address the problem of having the vehicle perform the functions of the driver. That eliminates having to alter the current highway system before it can be implemented. It also eliminates the requirement of an alert human driver.

Note that no vehicles finished the first "Grand Challenge" in 2004: "Fifteen vehicles participated, but none of them made it more than 8 miles on the 142-mile course." In 2005, a Volkswagen won and 4 other vehicles completed the course. Then came the 2007 "Uban Challenge". As the author of the articles put it:

"Together, the three competitions demonstrate the tremendous pace of progress in autonomous vehicle technology. In 2004, not a single vehicle could make it more than 10 miles in mostly-empty desert terrain. Three years later, half a dozen vehicles could not only navigate empty desert, but they knew how to obey traffic laws and interact with other drivers. Problems that computer scientists have struggled with for decades were solved in less than five years of intense effort."

I don't think it's a question of "if" any more; it's a question of "how soon". It's not too soon to hash out the social changes and concerns that driverless cars will bring.

Who would be interested in tracking your movements, heart rate, respiration, eye movements, speech, etc.?

I won't have OnStar surveilling me, so I sure don't want a robot car if all its sensors can't be completely disabled on command. The only way to determine if it actually carried out the command would be to have complete access to all software, as source code, that was used in it. Otherwise, it could do just like a voting machine -- pretend to do what you command while actually doing the opposite.

(P.S. to powerrodsmike: Remember all those warning labels about "adequate ventilation"? Get out of that paint booth, man! Star Trek was a fantasy. (That also means you're never going to get any of "Kirk's" ladies. Sorry).).
Old 10-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

While I was huffing leftover resin from my DIY transporter project, (which will also be a time machine so kirks ladies won't be 90 years old anymore. ), I was remembering that PM article and drew a connection to all these construction projects that were installing imbedded sensors in the various freeways in Ca.

They have been watching us for years, and analyzing our movements...how long will it be before they turn the monitoring system into a system to control our movements...

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsid...k/wp010326.htm

http://www.dot.ca.gov/perf/QRG.pdf

https://pems.eecs.berkeley.edu/

You can tell which freeways have the sensors, there are big signs that give a travel time from your current position,(under the sign), to various destinations forward from that point, based on traffic loads.

I heard some talk on the radio a while back about those systems being modified and devices added to a car to make it reduce speeds on traffic prone highways, to prevent bottle necking and the accidents that inevitably cause traffic jams.

Scary..

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-30-2008, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
They have been watching us for years, and analyzing our movements...how long will it be before they turn the monitoring system into a system to control our movements...
I don't have a problem with using traffic data to control traffic flow by controlling traffic lights, signs, etc. That's helpful. Gathering people data and exercising overriding control of their vehicles is another ball game.

That PEMS system could be abused by adding controllable devices in cars or by increasing data collection capacity and sensors.

It may boil down to surrendering more control as you enter more congestion.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:59 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

I think we all have been painting too long with out a spray mask .

Well ,I, all all, am for it ... for others that is. Not me .

Now I can fulfill my life long wish of creating a devise to get that non driving, left lane hanging,driving no where, SOB outta my way!

A remote to blow up the car in front of me HA HA HA AHHAHAHAHAHAHAAA a a a a ..... {evil laugh}

But seriously with the GPS & all that stuff it is just a matter of time.

In the year 2525 if the Auto is still alive.{sorry }

I think for now the opportunity still is there for our generations to oppose such things. our children's children will look back & most likely say how the hell could they survive in such barbaric times?

But these people who can not navigate without a GPS they should be the 1st ones to succumb to it.

I rented a Caddy a few years back got a GPS {a Motorola phone} even thou I knew where I was going 99% of the time when it would work right it was OK but still I knew where I was going but was relying on that thing until I realized it was making me a bad driver so I shut it off & demanded a refund ..got it too!

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.