Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - auto body repair? would you do it again
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
It's been talked about for years, it won't happen. For that matter, Volvo bumper covers have came painted for a long time but that is actually dying off. Think about the stock! How much more room would you need to stock all the colors of all the bumpers compared to just a few of each bumper?

No John, the cars are getting more complex and higher skilled technicians are getting more and more important. Believe me, we have a variety of skills at the shop and there are a couple of guys who are NEVER going to see a complex hit on one of these late model cars, they just couldn't handle it.

With all the different metals and welding needed, and the electronics, holy crap! Just today I had a car leaving and the windows wouldn't work from the drivers door. All that had been done was one rear door panel had been removed. But the windows wouldn't work. I had to reset each window. That of course is just a tiny issue but it's an example. SRS systems, accident avoidance systems. Heck we had an Infiniti G35 that the ABS was messed up because we put a different brand tire than it had from the factory!

It won't be long you will need a college degree to work on these things. It ain't the old hammer and dolly work anymore.

As far as restoration or collision, you make of it what you want to make of it. Personally, I look at doing collision repair on a 2012 Ford Focus the same as restoration on a 1958 Ford Fairlane. If you "restore" that Focus with the same passion as you would a vintage car for the concourse judges it is just as fun. That is how I look at collision repair. I love creating something that didn't exist yesterday, custom work is awesome. But if you don't have any at the time, putting the same passion into a Prius works for me.

Brian
I got passion for a Prius, if it's a gravy job.