Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - auto darkening welding helmets
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
I have a Miller auto dark and just got a new job TIG welding and Mig welding. Mostly stainless steel. The problem is that the welds are on 3/4 to 1 in material and the darkest setting is still about 1 shade not enough. After the 2nd day my eyes are really tired. It's hard switching from one process to the other but the auto dark is easy to adjust. It's just the MIG on the thick stuff is really bright. I even tried adding sunglasses but if anything they made it worse.

I used a whole spool of .045 wire in 4-5 hours. It's almost non stop. Then switch to tig. I'd guess at least 5 pounds of rod. They told me there is an even bigger job coming.
Stack a #5 behind the auto lens, and turn the auto lens down. Your helmet probably goes from 8 to 13.
A 5 with helmet set on 9 will give you a 14, etc. You will be looking thru an "8 or 9" before darkening though. But your eye fatigue will be reduced.

NOT all welding helmet lens are safe .

There is a Federal safety standard ANSI Z87.1

If the product you are using or going to buy does not display the ANSI cert, then I personally would not use it.

Just like motorcycle helmets, the law says they must be DOT, but go into any Harley shop and there will be "helmets" that are not approved that are for sale.