Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - auto darkening welding helmets
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by forschoolonly559
I want to say that my Harbor Freight Welding helmet is a failure. It works with mig/fluxcore, and stick. NOT Tig. It flashed me several times welding tig low and high amp. It solar powered. Im going to get a #10 fixed shade until i can get the new Miller Titan Helmet, its made for low amp tig especially.

Don't fault this helmet because it is from Harbor Freight because a lot of the low end models don't work very well with TIG regardless of brand. It seems that a lot of the ones without a sensitivity adjustment (and some with it like the HF model) have a problem with TIG and this is by no means limited to the HF helmets, which BTW share an identical lens module with some "name brand" helmets. If you spend the money to buy a full featured helmet with all the bells and whistles it can be expected to be adequate for all types of welding but for the price of a lower end model that is lacking some features that a lot of people simply don't need you can expect it to be somewhat limited, regardless of name brand. Over all the HF helmet has earned a pretty decent reputation for performance and has developed quite a following, it sounds like your case is more of exceeding it's capabilities than a failure.