Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - auto darkening welding helmets
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,168 Times in 1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Indeed it does! I finally got the chance to try one of those things and I was surprised at how easy it works, I think the only reason they are not more popular is because they are not easy to find. If that outfit would try a bit more aggressively to get these things in some stores where people could actually see and handle them I think they would really sell good. At this point I probably won't buy one because I simply have little use for them these days but a few years ago I most certainly would have bought one to replace the auto-dark I was using, these things have the advantage of the much better visibility of the conventional lens without the "flipping" problems of the conventional helmet. You can see the work for positioning and chipping through a CLEAR lens unlike the shaded AD lens and the lens will go dark when you want it to but not before, none of the flashing on/off in some circumstances and failing to go dark because of a blocked sensor. By far the most important feature to me however is the much better, undistorted view of the weld puddle while welding which gives them a big advantage over the AD for low Amp MIG welding.
The first time I used an autodark I couldn't believe how dark it was BEFORE you even struck an arc. It is like at a #4 like a gas welding goggle. I'm sorry, but I couldn't see crap. And now with my aging eyes, with bifocals, forget it.

Brian