Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - auto darkening welding helmets
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 08:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
did you own one of the older ones when they first came out?..If so,that technology is OLD now,:

I think that may be the reason we still hear complaints about these things not working for long, batteries not lasting long and not replaceable, etc, but things have come a long way in just the last 5 or 6 years and if someone has one 10 years or older then there simply is no comparison.

The reason I was so interested in finding out if the Kobalt was the same as the HF helmet is that the first Hobart, the one they called "The Hood" (and Miller of the same model), auto dark had the same exact "Chameleon" brand lens as the first models that HF sold! I had a Hobart bought in 2001 for $199.99 at Tractor Supply and that same year I was looking at the ones at HF for $59.99 and saw the similarities but when I looked at the lens it was exactly the same thing! Same brand lens in a different shell and while I am sure the shell was not as good as the Hobart there certainly was not $150 worth of difference. Both the Hobart (and Miller) and HF use a different lens now and until recently I wondered if they were still the same but after looking at the HF models I now know they are not but 9 years ago they sure were the same thing.

BTW, that old Hobart is still working just fine!