auto darkening welding helmets - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I have an auto darkening made by Neiko tools.. I don't have a Tig welder, but it has a specific tig setting which is very sensitive .. I keep it on the Arc/ Mig setting because that's what I use, and it works flawless

paid $50 shipped brand new from an ebay seller

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 12:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My Jackson "Next Gen" which is about 8 years old works ok for TIG but it will sometimes fail, I also have a Hobart "The Hood" that is 11 years and cost $200 and it will not work at all with TIG. The newer Hobart versions of this helmet however have a different lens module than they did when mine was made.

BTW, and I have mentioned this a bunch of times before, the lens in my Hobart (and also the Miller version of the same one) is the EXACT SAME "Chameleon" brand lens module that was in the Harbor Freight helmet at the time, the Hobart and Miller cost +/- $200 and the HF was usually on sale for $39.99. To their credit the Hobart and Millers had much better shells and headgear but they are hardly $150 better! Both the Hobart/Miller and the HF helmets have different lens modules these days and I really don't know if they are still the same or not, it would be interesting to check.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

i just got the latest catalog from HF and they have the "blue flame" auto helmet (the one that i have)
on sale in the middle of the catalog for 49 bucks, but on the back cover its only 39 bucks
what the heck?
this is a good example of how you really need to watch the pricing at HF
somtimes that place is a ripoff and sometimes its ok
Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Farm equip wasnt meant to fly

Last photo:

Ive arc/mig welded on and off, I guess a hobby welder, for about 20 years. I always used an old fashioned fixed lense helmet. I guess I was too cheap to buy any of the auto-dark helmets.

A while back I saw the HF auto dark solar powered helmets on sale for 39.99, so I squeezed the cash out and bought it.

Its great! I can actually see what Im doing without having to do the "fast head nod" to flip down the helmet before I strike the arc.

It was always a pain for me to try and get the screws just tight enough to hold up the helmet when I pushed it up, but yet leave the screws loose enough so that the helmet would flip down easily when I was ready to weld and didnt have a free hand. It usually ended up loose and would slowly ease down in front of my face when I wasnt welding.

No worries about getting flashed either if I accidently bump the work while lining up to lay a bead with my helmet up so I can see.

Modern technology. Aint it wonderful?

Mike
Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHRodder
No worries about getting flashed either if I accidently bump the work while lining up to lay a bead with my helmet up so I can see.Mike

That alone makes these things a good investment! Flash burn is commonly caused by the operator striking the arc before the helmet comes down because it struck something while working in a tight area or any number of other reasons. The worst flash burn I ever had came from just the reason you mention, I was preparing to tack a tooth shank on a loader bucket and leaned over to see if it was lined up properly when the 1/4" rod I was using accidentally touched the bucket and the arc flashed about 3 or 4 inches from my eyes! This was a 1/4" welding rod at over 350 AMPs and that one flash from that short distance left me with the worst flash burn I have ever had, an auto dark helmet would have prevented this from happening.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
And when ever auto darkening helmets come up I have to mention my favorite welding helmets, I don't like the auto darkening, tried them many times. For me it's the Cherokee... http://www.accustrike.com/ You don't have to open your mouth like the graffic shows, you barely move your chin, I like the control and the CLEAR lense before welding. I also like that it doesn't go all discotec on you with the lightening and darkening of the auto darkening.

Brian

Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

that thing would drive me batty
Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
that thing would drive me batty
Just like anything else, it takes getting use to. I have one at home and one and work, it's the only thing I use. After a short time you don't even think about it, just put it on and go to work.

Brian
Old 06-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Paisano

Last wiki edit: How to remove an ignition key lock
Wiki Edits: 4

Guess everyone's got an opinion.But one thing I do know is that I checked around many welders and welding supply houses and everyone tells me don't use a shade lower than 7-9 range.They almost all gaurnatee you will have eye problems sooner or later.
The reason I checked was that even with auto dark/standard helmets,green,mirror, gold type lenses [ I bought 2,inherited 2] sometimes I have a hell of a time checking puddles.I asked if I could go to a light shade and that was the response given to me with a few other words added to it from old guys.
Paisano
Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Brian, where do you come up with this stuff? Are you sure that that thing is safe! It looks like some kind of a medieval torture device. LOL
Old 06-02-2010, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flyin Wop
Guess everyone's got an opinion.But one thing I do know is that I checked around many welders and welding supply houses and everyone tells me don't use a shade lower than 7-9 range.They almost all gaurnatee you will have eye problems sooner or later.
The reason I checked was that even with auto dark/standard helmets,green,mirror, gold type lenses [ I bought 2,inherited 2] sometimes I have a hell of a time checking puddles.I asked if I could go to a light shade and that was the response given to me with a few other words added to it from old guys.
Paisano
the UV protection is done with the green lens filter. you could weld with a non functioning auto dark, and still be safe.. my helmet goes from 9-13 and I leave it on 10
Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Welding with an auto dark in the light mode would be kind of like arc welding with a shade 4 gas welding lens, the UV/IR protection would still be there and would not cause a flash burn but the visible light would be terribly uncomfortable and would be kind of like looking directly at a bright light bulb. About a 9 is the lowest shade safe to use (for eye strain not flash burn) unless working with really low amperage.

TFW, not at all sure what you mean by the lens shade in relation to "checking the puddle"?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Show me the money !

Last photo:

Started welding around age 13. Have been welding everything from sheet metal to 1/2 plate. Now I am 41 and probably log an average 5 hrs. a week in the flash. ( I made that up ) I have tried these things and just can't get comfortable with them. Still flippin my 20 yr. old whatever brand it is up and down. I probably won't ever buy one. But if Brian can produce a prototype of that mid-evil looking thing, I want one. Even if it doesn't work . That's a pretty fancy helmet!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I think that's how museums get started. haha

I've used an auto dark since time began. They are great. The one limitation is for very low amperage welding they are too dark. I keep a head shaker with an 8 for small stuff. I even have a combination that is about equavalent to a 7. I can get my nose right down in the work with my magnifiers and this one. I make some .018 stainless exhaust for large scale model airplanes and you just can't see the weld seam with anything greater. I even use a 500 watt halogen spot light. It gets too hot to be comfortable for very long, however.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 4 Door
Started welding around age 13. Have been welding everything from sheet metal to 1/2 plate. Now I am 41 and probably log an average 5 hrs. a week in the flash. ( I made that up ) I have tried these things and just can't get comfortable with them. Still flippin my 20 yr. old whatever brand it is up and down. I probably won't ever buy one. But if Brian can produce a prototype of that mid-evil looking thing, I want one. Even if it doesn't work . That's a pretty fancy helmet!
It DOES work! No prototype needed, click on the link and you have one for under a hundred bucks delievered to your door. I tried to upload a video of mine but something isn't working.

Honestly, I LOVE that helmet. I have tried a number of auto darks, some very good ones, thinking I was going to find the cats meow and dump my Cherokee. So far, I have't found anything that comes close to as good.

Brian

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.