Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - auto darkening welding helmets
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

$48 Princess Auto hood

I agree with some of the opinions expressed here about using cheapo helmets at home. NP
I want to tell you my story from Thursday July 19, 2012.
I was using the Princess Auto adjustable from 9 to 13 solar powered helmet 3 ten hour shifts that week. I had felt light discomfort in my eyes after the first 10 hour shift during my sleep, so I went to the drug store to get something for it. I bought Polysporin drops for eyes. I used it 2 times and welded for another 10 hours on Tuesday. My eyes felt less irritated during my second nights sleep. I worked a third 10 hour shift welding on Wednesday, and felt fine. I got to sleep around 3:30 AM and woke up at 5:30 AM with severe sandy eyes and much water coming out. After much consternation, I called a cab and went to the hospital emergency. I was unsure if I had any foreign material in there. The Doctor said it was arc flash, and gave me the next 2 days off. I also got a claim for 1 days pay through Worker's Compensation.
I called into my employer and told them about my need to miss a day. I sat at home all day Thursday with bouts of crying eyes, and Friday I was fired.
So, I think that I was fired due to a faulty helmet if used for 10 hours. My plan on my next job is to use a manual helmet, and screw the auto-dark ones.