Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - auto darkening welding helmets
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dusty, I know about the lousy helmets I have seen a few of those too, maybe not the exact same one you are talking about but you know what I mean. Certainly not all the cheap helmets are good but not all are bad either and that is what I meant earlier, often the major difference is more in what is holding the lens than the lens itself. HF has a couple of different models but one in particular seems to be the most popular and from the number I have seen in use locally I tend to think it must be a huge seller for them, having used one myself on occasion I can understand why. While that HF outfit seems better than most cheapos some of them are so cumbersome to use with poorly located adjustments (or no adjustments!) and poorly designed shells/headgear they simply can a PITA to use. My point was that passing up an economy helmet based simply on the myth that it might be dangerous because it will fail to switch shade fast enough or not at all sometimes is passing on it for the wrong reason. Obviously if the lens did not go dark and the operator continued to use it anyway the glare would be so bright he would not be able to see what he is doing and I would assume that after a while he would incur injury from it just as he would from looking at any light that bright, but not from UV exposure. I could not imagine someone doing such a thing and if they injured themselves from doing something like that it would hardly be the helmets fault. The bottom line is that contrary to popular belief the operator does not get any extra UV exposure during the time it takes for the lens to switch and the protection is not dependent on the lens switching at all. Personally I think it would make little sense for a person to buy a $400 helmet, as much as I like my Jackson, for weekend or hobby use when the $50 HF outfit would work just fine and just as safely.