Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - auto darkening welding helmets
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 01:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgo70
Rusty I was just wondering if the one you got from Princess Auto is a dark green when you're not welding. Mine seems too dark almost like the protective coating is still on it, is this normal??

Sean
Sean.....the view thru the lens will be a shade of green because it is always at shade 4 or 5 when not welding so that you have protection from arc flash in the event that the lens does not switch due to failure....and to protect your eyes during the switching time to dark mode.....

I do not know if you are familiar w/auto helmets but if you were expecting the lens to be clear when not welding you are mistaken.....

FYI: a shade of 5 is the shade most used in goggles for oxy-acetylene cutting and welding....so if you have a set of such goggles w/#5 lens you can compare with looking thru your helmet while it is not turned on (goggle lenses are etch marked for shade by the way)....

when I use my plasma cutter I use my helmet with the lens not turned on...for eye protection.....

Now, i am unable to look thru your helmet to compare with mine and I don't know what you define as "dark green"....but I can tell you that before striking the arc you should be able to definitely see where your electrode or mig wire is positioned and be able to see the work area quite clearly......as looking through 'dark green sun glasses, etc'....providing you have good shop lighting or outdoor daylight of course.....

I would not define the view thru my helmet as being DARK.....but definitely a lighter shade of green.....

If you are unsure if the unswitched shade is correct, I can only suggest that you compare with #4 or #5 normal welding lens....

Princess sells oxy/acet goggles equipped with shade 5 lense.....compare your helmet with those in the store if you dont own such goggles....

I hope this helps you Sean.....Ian