Auto to manual conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Auto to manual conversion

My Son and I pulled off a great conversion on 1987 El Camino. I want to hook up the neutral safety switch. The purple ignition wire for the solenoid is a 10awg. It just seems to big to direct to the switch. I can't seem to find out what the switch is rated for. Anyone have experience with this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Its just metal,you're the boss

Last photo:

I just omitted that system when i did the swap in my Monte Carlo. hasn't give me any trouble.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

I could live with omitting the switch. My Son is going to be 18 next month. If he hurts someone, him self or his car I couldn't live with it.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Omitting the neutral safety switch/ clutch cut out switch is illegal, it is a safety feature and they were/ are federally mandated.

just use the same wires that the automatic NSS switch used. don't forget to wire up the reverse light switch also. in most cases on a colum shift auto, that switch is also part of the NSS, so just extend and use those wires also.

if you insist on using your own wiring, just intergrate a Ford starter solonoid in. that solonoid takes a small current to activate. provide a power source from the batt, then
run a 10 ga wire from the other side, to the Chevy solonoid.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchamp
I could live with omitting the switch. My Son is going to be 18 next month. If he hurts someone, him self or his car I couldn't live with it.
not only that, if the car was in an accident and the inshurance company found out it had a disabled safety system.. they would refuse any claims on that car and drop the insurance..
Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Thank you Matt. Back up lights work fine. I made a bracket for the 63-68 Muncie M21 and found a switch that works great. I did try what I thought was the NSS switch located just below the ignition switch on the top side of the steering column. Or/blk wire & blk/wht wire. I have an open circuit there on the lock cylinders start position and assumed it was closed by a mechanical movement in the automatic shifter lever. Maybe I am overlooking a bad fuse or something?
hmmm come to think of it. this weekend I did see the test light come on once for about a second. But the bulb didn't light up. It just started to glow for a second and faded out.

Last edited by cbrchamp; 04-08-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

That car should have a clutch switch on it somewhere near the clutch pedal.

Might be able to get one from a late seventies early 80s Camaro /F-Bird

I have a Tremec in my 59 (and now in my 66) elky. wired so it will only start in neutral.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM

Last photo:

The switch on the colum will be useless w/ the manual trans. anyway, just for an FYI it should be half moon in shape, there is a lever that comes out of the colum and pushes on a peg on the switch.. all the switch does is cut power to the starter in every position other than park and neutral, and in some cases, runs the backup lights..

As bryan said, you need a clutch cut out switch wired. if you cannot find anything that will work, you could rig up a universal mechanical brake light switch to work.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

By george I think I got it!

Matt,
Thanks again for the post. I finally got access to Mitchel on demand at work. The column shift models use a mechanical interface type NSS. It's a wedged shaped finger, attached to the ignition switch actuator rod It just blocks the movement of the switch to start position in all the shift positions except neutral and park. So I found a lever type switch rated for 30A that I can break the 10awg Purple start wire and run to it. This week end I think I can find enough time to find a way to mount it behind the clutch pedal arm so that it will be reliable. What do you think?

PS I was looking for a 14-16awg electrical solution in the beginning. I just assumed that an automatic would have the same type NSS system as a factory manual trans car. What was I thinking...

Last edited by cbrchamp; 04-10-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.