Auto to stick.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

Auto to stick..

well i havent had time to take a good look at my trany yet. but im pretty sure its toast... so i was thinkin.. if i gota pull the trany and spend the money on a new/used one.. i'd get wut i want.. and that would be stick.. seeing as the car is auto right now..(1980 Trans Am) how much is involved with converting to standard? from wut i bin thinking.. im gona need to swap flexplate and tourque converter over to clutch and flywheel... then remove the oil trany cooler. and plug the lines into the rad.. or is there a way to hook it up to a standard? and the harderst part im thinkin is gona be to fabricate a clutch pedal.. and hook up the linkage.. the best thing would be to find a used car and take all the clucth set up out.. but it'lll be very hard to find a car like this in stick.. so any suggestions? or comments? would it be worth the swap? or just gona be a waste of time and money? thanx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Ive answered this one before....about 2 weeks ago..so I will repeat.

The best thing to do is get a complete parts vehicle, whether you buy it or at a wreckers. You want to make sure you have all the parts you need. Pedals, linkage, neutral switch, etc, etc.

Another aproach, would be to find another guy with a similar car that wants to go from standard to automatic and swap parts. Or easier yet, swap cars.

Budget RVs
Old 12-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

well i already have 4 cars.. and have no room for a parts car.. and like i said.. finding a these cars in stick isnt as easy as u think.. and trust me if my friends had a similar car i would do the swap.. thanx for your opinion tho..
Old 12-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The important part of doing this swap, is making sure that you have ALL the parts you need.

Budget RVs
Old 12-21-2003, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

Wouldn't the parts you need be common to any 70 - 81 Camaro/Trans Am/Firebird ? , if so I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to find the parts , clutch pedal , Z bar , linkage , clutch fork etc . The bellhousing would have to suit the bolt pattern on your engine ( I don't know what came in an 80 TA) . You may have to drill and tap the hole in your block or fabricate a bracket for the Z bar pivot ball and also weld or bolt a bracket/pivot ball to the frame opposite .
Old 12-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Gettin a life..Goodbye

Last photo:

My 4 speed saginaw came from a 82 t/a. They were gonna scrap it out as soon as they took a few body parts from it. It was in good shape except the t tops were gone and it was left out so all the interior is shot.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:28 PM
drive it like you hate it

Last photo:

I bought a 1977 Camaro with this swap in it. Nothing wrong with doing it, just please get all the correct parts and don't half-***** anything. Not trying to sound mean, just do not because it will cause problems for you/future owners (the guy left 2 of 3 bolts out of the subframe/z-bar mount...felt good drving through town when that went one day). Also, if your car has tall gears right now, you need to swap gears to make the car really drivable. Otherwise you will eat up clutches pretty fast and it is harder to spin those tires. Otherwise, just have fun with the new tranny.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.