Auto Trans Help Needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Auto Trans Help Needed

A friend of mine has a '92 Skylark with a 3.3 engine. We've narrowed the downshift problem to the converter lock up switch/sensor. It's not releasing at lower speeds and the engine stalls. He bought a switch and it appears to be an item probably located inside the pan.

Anyway, he took the car to a local "mechanic" who told him the switch was located somewhere else, possibly "in the side" of the trans. He wanted $450 to fix it! He also said he'd have to pull the trans.

I'm not familiar with FWD transmissions, but I think the mechanic thought he had a live one on the line. My friend isn't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to cars.

Anyone familiar with these transmissions or where the switch goes. I somehow feel obligated to help the guy out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Frmly sc*ot.

Torque Converter Clutch SOLENOID

Common problem.
The solenoid is located in the side trans pan.
The solenoid sticks in the locked position, causing the car to stall at a stop.
Get a new one from the dealer ~$32.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Last photo:

Yep, had one in my daughters 91 Cavalier almost drive me nuts when she was away at college. I don't know how many times I drove the 250 miles to try and figure out what was wrong with that piece of s^%$. It was very intermittent. Finally out of desperation called a buddy of mine to get his input on it. Before I could finish the sentence he said lockup solenoid or switch...duh. Ever see one of those cartoons where a big balloon is above the characters head and it says DUH!

Vince
Old 01-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

Is this something you can get to easily?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

lock up solenoid

First of all, I am assuming that it is the three speed 3T40 trans, they had the TCC problem. You need to remove the side trans pan. Sometimes this is easy and sometimes it is a real pain if the side motor mount bracket is on top of the side pan. Let me know which you have and we'll go from there!

Rick
Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Member# 3287

Last photo:

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully, it's something I can get at. Keep you posted.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:03 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket
First of all, I am assuming that it is the three speed 3T40 trans, they had the TCC problem. You need to remove the side trans pan. Sometimes this is easy and sometimes it is a real pain if the side motor mount bracket is on top of the side pan. Let me know which you have and we'll go from there!

Rick
actually, odds r that its got the 4t60e, but i didnt see anybody ask if the trans has overdrive or not, just havent seen a 125c mated to a 3.3.
anyhow, the switch goes to the side pan, and it CAN be done without removing the trans. gotta pull the oil filter for the engine (lowering the the trans from the drivers side will put the oil filter right against the frame on the passenger side of the vehicle.) there will be a frame piece on the drivers side that will have 6 bolts (4 short, and 2 long) and 2 nuts inside the frame piece (they hold the sway bar in place). then undoo the link from the left side sway bar and swing the frame piece still attached to the lower control arm towards the back of the car... then after that, u should see the trans mount that supports the drivers side of the trans up., unbolt it (4 bolts, 2 in sideways, 2 go up.) once u get the trans to lower enough, remove the trans mount bracket attached to the side pan, pop axle out of the trans, and then just raise or lower trans to get the pan bolts out and weasle the side pan out of there... gotta be careful, theres electronics inside the side pan, and they can be costly... after installing the switch, make sure u use a new side cover set (gasket and o'ring((seals drivers side axle in)). and reverse procedure going back together... its quite a bit of work on the floor. but if u think a local mechanic is trying to jip u, then why go to a general automotive shop for transmission repair???
anyway, this is basically how u can do it, but as a trans mechanic, id suggest u take it to a trans shop that has been around for a long time and has a good reputation and let them handle it... btw,,, that 450.00 is a pretty close estimate to do the job., could prbably do for less if they know how to do it without dropping the trans.. i myself can do the job in roughly 1 1/2 hours, so if they r decently good at what they do, they should be able to do within 3 1/2 hours. gl
Old 01-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I would suggest that you only buy the TCC lock up switch from a Dealership or a Delco part. I have changed hundreds of these over the years. The aftermarket one work fine just some wire hook up modifications are needed. So thats why I say stick with factory parts for this repair. They are not all that hard to change.

Steve

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.