Auto transmissions that will bolt up to a 283 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Helmar

Last journal entry: Engine
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Auto transmissions that will bolt up to a 283

Does anyone have a interchange book or know of what automatic transmissions will bolt up to a 1959 283 chevy block?

I think I remember it does not take the 2 bolt starter where the bolts come up from the bottom into the block which might mean it takes the older stile bell housing that was cast iron, three bolt starter?

It sure would be nice to install a 700R for highway driving.

Anyway, I have a 28 Model A Pickup and a 283 that I want to install into it.

I got to come up with a rear end that I can weld all the ford hardware on as well. I did go through the list of rear ends but I am not really into having one narrowed up as its 55.5 inches between the stock ford rear end backing plates.

HJ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

WILCAP makes a adapter that allows the use of a early V8 Chevrolet block with a later automatic transmission. Go here ... http://www.wilcap.com/chevy.html#265350

If the block has bolt holes that go up in the block like these ... the 700R4 starter will work. The block below has 3 starter bolt holes.

For a small V8 like the 283, I would feel comfortable using a early V8 Maverick rear end. They are 56 inches ... measured this way

The early V8 Maverick ( and it's corporate sister car the Comet ) have 5 lug axle wheel flanges and are in the 8 inch series of Ford rear ends.

You may be better off financially, in the long run ... to just go ahead and move up to a later Chevrolet V8 block ... than your could could a 700R4 with ... without the adapter. I have NOT priced the adapter but it's price could very well be a good bit more than a later V8 core or engine.

I might would try to find myself a DONOR vehicle with a 305 and 700R4 ... I really like the 87 up style V8's for their better rear main seal and improved valve cover sealing. The later engine would also have hardened valve seats ... something the early 283 does not have. The early 283's were designed to run on leaded fuel and did not need hardened valve seats.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Last edited by Deuce; 07-12-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Most Chevrolet blocks only use 2 of the starter bolt holes.

The 153 tooth flywheel uses a 12 and 1/2 inch flywheel and a straight across pattern starter.

The other flywheel is a 168 tooth flywheel ( 14 inches ) and uses a staggered pattern starter.

Just figure out which pattern your early block requires and then get the correct size automatic flexplate

Old 07-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Helmar

Last photo:

Good information !!!
Me being an old school hot rodder as I built most of mine about 30 years or so ago.
I grew up working in my dads wrecking yard and am starting to remember more of the old school ways.
I had built up a 29 A Sedan that I pretty much drank away. I had a little 283 in it with the two speed powerglide and That, was sweet. Never finished the car, no upholstery or paint but all the running gear was done and ready for chrome.

Anyway, this 283 was just gone through to become a Marine engine. I did talk to the guy and he knew about the rear seals going out and due to them being harder to pull and replace in a boat, put in the good rear seal. I will have to look at it as I don't remember of the older blocks could be drilled for the two bolt starter but if they could, I would bet it has been done on this to use the standard velvet drive boat transmission. Oh, and the heads were built for this new crap gas we have to deal with too.

Good info on the adapter, will check that out and hope it does not come with a marriage contract with a special starter. I hate it when the basterize something like that to lock you into special expensive parts.

Just so everyone knows, I did work at a couple of dealerships back in the early 80's and care for my own rigs I own (6).

As far as the 305 and 350 blocks with there stroke, If I remember right, those were 10 mile to the gallon engines without the EFI. Not sure I want to go down that road. I do know they changed the casting in those blocks as the pistons would ware out before the blocks would.

The fellow I am getting the 28 from was going to make a rat rod out of it but my intention is to make a street cruiser out of it. Not much chrome but more than road worthy.

I did also see in one of the Rear end sections of this board about some of the rear ends and how little choice one had on the width's.

Where I live now ( used to be in Portland Oregon where you could find anything you wanted) in the Olympic Peninsula of Washington with only a few wrecking yards to pick from. Might have to venture farther down into Bremerton Washington area as well as start checking out back yards for Maverick and Comets.

Not sure how I am going to do the running gear as of yet but thinking of taking the stock mounts off the 40 ford rear end that is under it right now.
Need to get more educated on what I am doing or going to do.

Thanks for the info.
HJ
Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88lowrider
As far as the 305 and 350 blocks with there stroke, If I remember right, those were 10 mile to the gallon engines without the EFI.

HJ
I had a 305 in a El Camino ( 1979 ... carb model ) and got 20 plus MPG with it. The early 305's were pretty doggy, with all the polluction equipment on them but that has improved a LOT.

A 57 to 59 Ford passenger car rear end is 58 inches wide. They fit up under a Model A with the correct back spacing on the rims. I actually like to use a early Ford Bronco rear end ... they are 58 inches also and have the early Ford wheel pattern like a 40 Ford and early F-100 pickups. They are in the 9 inch Ford family ... so parts are reasonable, strong and available.

I have one under my 32 roadster. I like using the Bronco rear because I like to use the 53 to 56 F-100 brakes on my cars. Then I can use the steel wheels and hub caps without any adapters. Go here for the F-100 brake conversion.

http://www.flatheadv8.org/f1brakes1.htm

Good luck with your project

Old 07-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Helmar

Last photo:

Sweet looking Deuce for sure.
I really like the idea of building something that replacement parts are not on the endangered species list.

This will be a cruiser for the most part, might jump the gas peddle once in awhile but for most part, just a driver toy.
I have built a few that I would not drive on the road so no trailer queens for me.

In the truck, I hope to put in that fresh 283 engine, 700R transmission for the over drive and whatever gear ratios I need to be able to run her up to 65 or even 70mph without her being over 3000 rpm's
Something in the order of what this looks like, if I can figure out the attachment for the images.
Wow, looked into this and its pretty intimidating

I will try to figure it out.
HJ

Last edited by 88lowrider; 07-12-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

My 283 came from a '59 station wagon. It used the old-style starter, but the original starter from the recipient '69 6-cylinder Nova (153-tooth flywheel) worked fine. I just had to tap one of the holes in the block where the new starter bolted up. The hole was already there, it just was not threaded by the factory.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Helmar

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
My 283 came from a '59 station wagon. It used the old-style starter, but the original starter from the recipient '69 6-cylinder Nova (153-tooth flywheel) worked fine. I just had to tap one of the holes in the block where the new starter bolted up. The hole was already there, it just was not threaded by the factory.
That is pretty cool. It sounds like your using the bolts long bolts that come up from the bottom.
I got my 283 buried at the shop so I will get it back out from under the pile and feel for the holes in the block. Taping out a hole will not be an issue to use the new stile starter.

What transmission are you using ?
Thanks.
HJ
Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

It had a Muncie 4-speed. The car, a '69 Nova, was born with an I-6 & 3-on-the-tree, but gained the 4-speed when a friend reverted his hot-rod Camaro back to stock configuration. I used all the stock 6-cylinder drivetrain stuff when I put in the 283, including the starter, which did indeed bolt in from the bottom. I did feel mighty lucky somebody at the factory drilled that hole for me.

As to your original question, as far as I know, any automatic trans that will bolt to a Chevy V-8 built later than 1919 will bolt to a 283.

The early SBC's used a "powerglide adapter", which adapted the V-8 rear bolt pattern to the old iron Powerglide trans that carried the early I-6 bolt pattern. The starter actually bolted to the adapter, not to the engine or transmission.

Last edited by jimfulco; 07-14-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.