Auto Zone - Not so bad - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 01:21 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Auto Zone - Not so bad

With all the bad comments Auto Zone gets on this and other sites, I must report two recent good experiences. One I've already posted on, and that is A.Z.'s free on line repair manuals and wiring diagrams located at their web site. True, the manuals are mostly for late models (70's/80's and up) AND they are not as detailed as we might like(they appear to be the equivalent of a Chiltons manual), but hey, nobody else has had the moxie to post this stuff for free so my hat is off to them.

The second good experience is that I just ordered a new oil pump off their web site. I got a decent, Melling, high volume pump at a good price ($21.99) and not outlandish shipping ($7.49 - less than it would have cost me for the round trip drive to my nearest A.Z. outlet), and it arrived on my doorstep just 2 days after the order was placed.

The biggest complaint I've heard about A.Z. is the lack of knowledge by their sales staff. Now, with their on-line ordering, you can eliminate the need for the sales folks altogether and get right to the catalog yourself.

(BTW - I have no financial interest in A.Z., no stock, stock options, or hint of anything resembling an investment in the company. All my money is in Enron.)

Dewey

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

Mom always said if I cant say anything nice..dont say anything at all..

<saying nothing>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2005, 03:12 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

I've been a fan since easter sunday of 91 or 92. out of town, Denver CO, bendix goes out on my chevy pos. Autozone was open, and had it in stock. NO more stranded on the roadside!!!! HOORAY FOR AUTOZONE!!!!
Old 07-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

I do not mind Auto Zone IF you get someone who really knows cars working behind the counter. I wish I had more guys like Coldknock here.They do not pay a whole hell of alot,so they are going to be hard pressed to get a real knowledgable guy/gal who can make 2X as much on the floor of a shop. The real complaint is when the "computer" says that my car does not have that part on it. We have one Oreileys operating here,and one more going up down the road from me.They are not bad.But I still drive out of my way to a parts house with,stools,ashtrays on the counter and,get this,BOOKS,lots of catalogs and NO COMPUTER. There is nothing he can not get for me,and he will get it from the warehouse that day.First time I dealt with him was for a H2O pump for my 91 SHO.No place had it local,none of our 9 Ford dealers,major parts houses or anyplace.National 2 week backorder unless I wanted to drive to Cincy where 1 Ford dealer had one.This local guy said he could get it in two hours.I told him if he did he had a lifetime customer. I have been dealing with him exclusively unless he is closed and I have to have the part yesterday.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
With all the bad comments Auto Zone gets on this and other sites, I must report two recent good experiences. One I've already posted on, and that is A.Z.'s free on line repair manuals and wiring diagrams located at their web site. True, the manuals are mostly for late models (70's/80's and up) AND they are not as detailed as we might like(they appear to be the equivalent of a Chiltons manual), but hey, nobody else has had the moxie to post this stuff for free so my hat is off to them.

The second good experience is that I just ordered a new oil pump off their web site. I got a decent, Melling, high volume pump at a good price ($21.99) and not outlandish shipping ($7.49 - less than it would have cost me for the round trip drive to my nearest A.Z. outlet), and it arrived on my doorstep just 2 days after the order was placed.

The biggest complaint I've heard about A.Z. is the lack of knowledge by their sales staff. Now, with their on-line ordering, you can eliminate the need for the sales folks altogether and get right to the catalog yourself.

(BTW - I have no financial interest in A.Z., no stock, stock options, or hint of anything resembling an investment in the company. All my money is in Enron.)

Dewey
That all depends on what your looking for, yea i batch plenty about A.Z. and kragen, they stress me out most of the time. Take last time for example, i go to get a clutch, the online price is 29.99, i went with part# in hand...got the clutch OHH thatll be 52 dollars!!!! WHAT!!! Even came home called the manager and had him look it up, he didnt know W.T.Hell to do about it....I told them to go screw themselves if they are that uncoordinated.
^I got a thread on this in the tanny section (clutchm whats goin on parts stores),.... IN the end i wound up putting my old clutch back in, it still has life in it...when its time im ordering through summit or jegs etc..get a god centerforce for the same dam price as a cheapie stock from az or kragen...

The manuals from AZ now thats another story, those kickbutt!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCastle
But I still drive out of my way to a parts house with,stools,ashtrays on the counter and,get this,BOOKS,lots of catalogs and NO COMPUTER. .
very much agreed, I do the same, although they have a lot of books and a couple of compys. I look up my own PNs most of the time, oil and fiel filters, ya know.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCastle
I wish I had more guys like Coldknock here.
Dude, you just made my day.

You're right on the money, about the money. These places don't pay squat. They blow smoke up your arse about benefits and a flexible schedule but that's all it is, smoke. $10.50 and hour and no overtime 'till hell freezes over ain't gonna provide a roach free household. Working every sunday leaves no time for family or drag racing. I don't care how good the insurance is, it ain't worth it. That's why I work there part time now. Most of my regular customers know when I work and won't set foot in the joint unless I'm there.

Soon I won't be able to make time for the parts house anymore. A new opportunity has come my way and if my resume is good enough. I'll be in the green again. 10yrs later than I planned but better than never. I get to play in dirt and concrete too.

Larry
Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
very much agreed, I do the same, although they have a lot of books and a couple of compys. I look up my own PNs most of the time, oil and fiel filters, ya know.

Gotcha beat there, man. All I have to do is pull in and my local parts guys (Motor Service and Supply) know my Wix filter numbers. Most of the time, they have the filter on the counter before I make it through the store. Good parts stores are really hard to find. These guys go way beyond the normal job description to serve their customers well. A.Z. is cool here (Dewey, next time you cruise down, swing on in), but they can't touch the service of "my" parts house....

In a while, Chet.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Honestly, I prefer the Autozone here over some of the other places. One reason is because they are just a few blocks away from my college campus so its not that far of a drive if I have to pick up a part or somethign after school. Ive had my fair share of putting up with idiots at the counter though, but I get less ignorance from them than with oriellys or anywhere else.
At orielly's Ive actually argued with some of the guys in the store, about wether or not a 86 chevy c10 came stock with a th350. It did and they didn't beleive me when I went to get a filter and pan gasket. Really funny thing was, I told the guy at the counter I needed it for a turbo 350 trannsmission. And of course he asked all the usual question about the car that have nothing to do with what you need (4barrel carb,color,etc) but he kept asking me to make sure I was looking for the pan gasket for the th350. He finally goes to the back and brings back a box that looked kinda big to be the transmission gasket. I saw that it said "oil pan gasket" on the side. He thought I was crazy because I told him that it was the wrong thing, til he finally opened up the box, and asked his mangaer if it was the right one Then the manager asked me again what I was needing, went to the back and came back with the right gasket and filter WITHOUT using the computer.
Another time at the same place, I had an arguement with another dude if the same 86 chevy c10 came with a HEI distributer or points. I won because I finally took him out and showed him what it looked like on the engine
Sorry for the rant, I hate stoopid peoples

Brad
Old 07-02-2005, 01:26 AM

I've followed my favorite parts guy through at least three different independent parts stores over the past 15 years.He usually has the right p/n in his head,knows if it's in stock,and either has it in my hand before I leave,or sends somebody to the warehouse to pick it up and deliver it to me in short order.
He's even picked up stuff from a dealer ,run it through my store account,and delivered the parts to me.When a guy gives you that kind of service,you don't mind paying a little more than the big chains charge.On top of this, when the parts are for my own cars,he usually gives me the best price he can-his cost!
JP-thanks for all you do-

George
Old 07-02-2005, 02:16 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Just went and visited my parts buddy today.Made the call for a wheel bearing on my 93 SHO,L/T front one is bad.He called me the minute the warehouse got it to him.I pay a few more bucks over the other places,but the service is worth it.Plus he always has cool mags out and a few old timers hanging out on the stools.The old timers are cool,great conversation guys.

Man,that wheel bearing is a royal hemmoroid without any air tools!!!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I was lucky recently to have an O'Rielly experience, they told me my 01 Ram w/360 does not have a dist. cap and rotor.?
Used to be a independent that could get anything, he sold out to Car Quest. C.C., O'Rielly, Autozone all moved to town within 6 months of each other. Instead of trying to compete with them he gave in. You can't blame him, now days everyone want's the cheapest they can buy. Well almost everyone.
It sure has made going to the parts store hell.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I like my local NAPA, it was originally an independent Mom and Pop establishment and when they retired one of the younger guys that had been with another local parts place that went under bought it and got a NAPA franchise. They have computers but they also have 2 huge banks of good old parts books and the owner is a mid-40's gearhead, although he's a MoPar guy with a Roadrunner and a GTX he also owns a Vette so I don't get too much anti-Chevy guff just enough to make it fun. He's used to me coming in and asking for off the wall stuff and usually knows what I'm talking about. The local AZ......... the only one there that REALLY knows cars is a woman, the guys are nice enough and try to help but when I whip one of my "dust off the archives" requests on 'em they just give me that deer in the headlights look and start fumbling with the computer. But like someone mentioned above they don't get paid much either.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

Parts houses here are being devoured by corporate crapola shops. There is one independent shop left here, but it's jobber sales only, no retail. (no problem for me, they deliver within 1 hour for in stock items too) The problem is that they are only open 9-5 M-F. The local CarQuest, NAPA,and A-Z are okay, it's hit or miss with the counter help due to the crummy pay and high turnover.

We used to have Discount Auto here, they were a good discount retailer until they were bought out by Advance Auto. I'll walk miles in the Florida summer sun to avoid them now. Those buttwipes will not honor parts warranties for Discount AP parts sold only 1 year ago including their top of the line $100 batteries. The local manager's response was: "That is a Discount Part, we're Advance now, and have no connection with the former Discount suppliers, too bad" (I hope he enjoys his nice quiet store, no door opening and closing, no registers ringing...) No shop in town that I know of still relies on Advance as their primary supplier.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.