Auto zones. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Auto zones.

I can remember when we first got an Auto zone parts store and the Napa and other parts stores were laughing that they can never service a shop and all their parts are crap.
Well as long as I have the body off the vette I figured I would buy new shocks, so over the last two weeks if in a town and had time I stopped in no less than 12 parts stores, NO one had a set of shocks but could all order overnight.
So there is an auto zone 5 miles from me I thought i would check them out and see what they had available and I was going to order so could have Tuesday. He punches the info in the computer and says in stock I have three choices! About fell over! I came home with 4 shocks for a 454.

The guy at Oriellys laughed at me when I gave hime the info and asked if they had them in stock

One other time I wanted split-fire plugs for the 312 and I called all the part stores, none had them and I can understand that but I keep calling because i wanted to fire the engine up that weekend, my last call was auto zone and they had 10 or 12 in stock.

Goodbye independent part stores!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The Autozone store in my area has a wide selection of parts, but their service is very poor. The O'reilly's store is on par (most of the time), with Autozone in terms of inventory but their service is superior.

The national chain stores are really putting the hammer on the smaller independents and Napa type stores.

I used to be a Napa Autocare center, but the store that serviced me decided that I was too far away to deliver parts to. That was about 3 years ago before O'reilly's came to town. The Napa store was always very busy before O'reilly's showed up but now Autozone and O'reilly's has chiseled away at their business. I betcha they would deliver to me now. Too bad I don't trade with them anymore.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Autozone always seems to have the more parts in stock and cheaper for me. When ever I got to oriellys or someplace else, the people know what they are talking about but sometimes have to order it or its more expensive. Just last week I went to buy a flywheel, oriellys had to order them for $140. Went to Autozone and they had them in stock for $60. Only problems I have with the Autozone here is that a bunch of ricers hang out there and bug the employees with stupid questions, so they can't help others as much.

Brad
Old 02-28-2005, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

Lost my gas cap on my 34 Chevy and Auto Zone had one in stock!!! You Never Know till you Ask...
Old 02-28-2005, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB
The Autozone store in my area has a wide selection of parts, but their service is very poor. The O'reilly's store is on par (most of the time), with Autozone in terms of inventory but their service is superior.

The national chain stores are really putting the hammer on the smaller independents and Napa type stores.

I used to be a Napa Autocare center, but the store that serviced me decided that I was too far away to deliver parts to. That was about 3 years ago before O'reilly's came to town. The Napa store was always very busy before O'reilly's showed up but now Autozone and O'reilly's has chiseled away at their business. I betcha they would deliver to me now. Too bad I don't trade with them anymore.
Same kind of attitude in this area from What I hear.
They are just giving away their business.
Myself in past I would drive further to go to a Carquest or Napa store but not anymore.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:44 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

I miss Marshall's. It was our local parts store ran by Wes Marshall. Really good guy. If he knew you it was instant credit, no need to pay upfront or sign.
Screw Auto-zone and O'really? until they learn spreadbore and squarebore baseplate gaskets are not the same. At least Wes would hire car guys.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

The people at Autozone don't know the difference between a gascap and a crankshaft. I always go to the local independent place that sells speed parts, and those guys know their stuff over there too. Service is much better than Autozone, I waited in line for 10 minutes while the cashier was talking to a friend, and I left the part and got out of the place. The local speed shop I go to (Auto Master's) has great service, they don't greet ya Wal-Mart style, but if ya ask, they'll gladly help. These guys have and work on rods, unlike the Honda driving dork at Autozone.

If I'm short on funds, I go to PartsPlus down the road, or Napa. It's cheeper than Auto Master's, but I'm still supporting guys who, by speaking to them, seem like they know a thing or two about cars.

To hell with Autozone, Advanced, whatever else that employs a bunch of people who know more about what's on the surface of Mars than what's under their hood. There is a few exceptions though, I haven't met any yet.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:25 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

The quality of service is specific to each individual parts store.

When I needed a heater core for the white Caprice I went to Pep Boys and paid 35.00. It ended up being the wrong heater core, even though the part number on the box was correct. I took it back the next night, Pep Boys didn't have another one in stock, and the only other place open was Auto Zone. Auto Zone had the same brand heater core with the same lifetime warrenty, and it was only $22! The guy at the counter even gave me some advice, he said hook the heater core up and run the car before I went through all the trouble to that huge plastic housing back on, just incase the new one leaked. Ha, that was something I wouldn't have thought to do, thanks auto zone guy.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Header design
Last journal entry: And still more pics...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Being an O'Reilly's employee I guess my opinion might be a bit biased, but from my experiences before ever working in parts I can say we're one of the better stores around. Every store I've ever been to has had it's share of idiots, guys ( and girls) whose knowledge of cars only goes as far as what the computer screen tells them. Heck, we have a couple working at my store. Just don't let a couple give em all a bad name. Discount Auto Parts was a good store before they got bought out by Advance, that's where I used to get the majority of my stuff. Advance isn't bad either, they carry most of the same stuff we do. Autozone has always had the crappiest electrical parts ( starters, alternators, batteries, sensors, etc.), but they are cheaper, so I guess you get what you pay for. Their warranties also suck, as most of their electrical stuff has 90 days, and that's it. Most of our stuff carries a lifetime warranty, which I guess is why it tends to be more expensive. Napa has decent countermen from what I've seen, good parts selection, just kind of expensive. That's where most of the good ol boys around here go, don't know why. We also have Bumper to Bumper here, I don't like them because their countermen are a bunch of grumpy old farts who don't seems to give a rat's *** what you want or need. I've never really wanted to take the time to use them because of that.

As far as Pep Boys goes, I like them. They seems to cater to the ricer crowd more than most, but their parts selection and quality has always been good in my experience, just screwed my shop a couple of times when we needed them, so we stopped using them.

Parts is Parts, and that's all there is to it. If you like a store, stick with em. In my experience, you get what you pay for, MOST of the time. Sometimes you get screwed, sometimes you come off good. If you can get a hook up, go for it. That's my .02.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!

Last photo:

The autozone here in Tulare has one or two older smart parts guys there. Heres my story from last week. I went to Kragen to get a common gasket a Collector Gasket. 1st thing the kid wants to do is punch my info in the pc, i kinda laughed at him and went along with his plan. Told him 65 elcamino, boy was he confused that darn computer wouldnt show him a 350....HMMM I WONDER WHY. MAbey 327 was the biggest that year..Had to tell him 3 times that the engine has been replaced. Then the guy tells me OHH we DONT sell Aftermarket parts. I look arent see all there stuff,, steering wheels, rice add-on's, stereo's, etc. Bout now im startin to get mad at the guy and my tone is loud, I just tell him its a g-- d--- MR gasket GASKET YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT ITS A COMMON PART!!!! Any car with header will have it. The guy asks his other teen buddy employee and finally tells me Isle 5 or whatever isle it was. I seen em right off the bat, 6 bux for Mr gasket!!! omg.
I left there muttering and pissed the hell of that people can be so dumb.

I headed straight over to autozone, Lucky there was the older guy there, went right up to em asked em if they carry the collector gaskets, YEP, walked out from behind the counter and directed me to a whole top half of a shelve of them. Wound up leaving with some Percy's Aluminum reusable ones that came with bolts and nuts, got em for 14 bux, not bad.

I used to get most of my parts from kragen, because its only walking distance from my house and their service used to be good, now that pc's have came in and taken over it all, It's a major PITA.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

It doesn't really matter what name is on the building. If the people suck, they just suck. A decent parts man would find what you need, ask you if you've had lunch yet and tell you that he'll send a driver to pick it up while you munch on a greasey cheeseburger. I do it almost daily, it's called service and it doesn't matter who owns the company.

Dang near anything can be had overnight these days, sometimes the same day, and 90% of the car parts you buy require some planning or before you need them. Plan your purchases accordingly. Don't expect any parts store to have a generator for a '53 Buick in stock, or be able to get it within the next hour. They can probably locate one for you if you're kind enough to ask for it before you need it.

Poor planning on your end does not constitute an emergency on mine. It's my motto.

If it is an emergency I will treat it as such and sometimes even if it isn't. It really depends on the customers attitude. If you speak to me in a condecending manner, don't expect me to offer any service beyond what's required of me by the employee handbook. Niether of us owes the other anything more than common courtesy.

On the flipside, if you get attitude when you walk into a parts store, speak with that persons supervisor. Chances are that you'll get to speak with a different, equally inept, idiot the next time you come in.

Larry
Old 02-28-2005, 06:22 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Coldknock is right, I once needed rear brake drums for my 69 Ford I went to the local part store and ordered the wrong part cause I made the mistake of going by what the previous owner had told me, I apologized to them and they helped me figure out what I needed and ordered one in from the state of Indiana for me. So even if it costs me more money if I can swing it i'll go there as opposed to the crappy service I get at auto zone.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:02 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I don't know how many times I have gone into a parts store and seen the problem. The customer that comes in, spends 5 or 10 minutes at the counter, waiting for the employee to help them, just tom complain about how long they had to wait. Then it turns out that they only wanted a quart of oil that was on a shelf in aisle 5, or what ever. They could have walked for 2 minutes and checked to find it themselves. Now the person that needed something looked up, has been standing there waiting all of that time, because the employee was waiting on the people that are too lazy to look on the shelves.

Unfortunately, the local auto parts stores with car guys are becoming a thing of the past. Then again, so have the service stations where they pump the gas, check the oil, and clean the windshield. If you are looking for an intake gasket for a 350 out of a 87 Chevy, you should ask for such. Asking for an intake gasket for a Chevy 350 in a 67 Mustang is only asking for trouble.

Courtesy and common sense goes along ways.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
I don't know how many times I have gone into a parts store and seen the problem. The customer that comes in, spends 5 or 10 minutes at the counter, waiting for the employee to help them, just tom complain about how long they had to wait. Then it turns out that they only wanted a quart of oil that was on a shelf in aisle 5, or what ever. They could have walked for 2 minutes and checked to find it themselves. Now the person that needed something looked up, has been standing there waiting all of that time, because the employee was waiting on the people that are too lazy to look on the shelves.

Unfortunately, the local auto parts stores with car guys are becoming a thing of the past. Then again, so have the service stations where they pump the gas, check the oil, and clean the windshield. If you are looking for an intake gasket for a 350 out of a 87 Chevy, you should ask for such. Asking for an intake gasket for a Chevy 350 in a 67 Mustang is only asking for trouble.

Courtesy and common sense goes along ways.
Thank you.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

The only real problem Ive had with any part store around here was when I was getting help from an idiot at oriellys. I needed an upper radiator hose for a 86 chevy truck with 350, I also took the old one in to be sure to get the right one. The guy didn't even look in computer, he just says oh yeah I know where that one is and goes into the back for a while. He comes back a few minutes later with a hose and starts checking me out and sets it on the counter. I realized that it was complettly different than the old one. The guys says oh my bad and takes it back and comes back with a different hose. This one is also wrong so he takes it back and brings another wrong one. This went on for a while and several times I suggested that he take the old one and compare it back there so it would be quicker. He says no I can find it. Finally his boss comes over after realizing that the guy was having trouble. The first thing the manager does is type in my truck in the computer and go in the back. The manager came back with the right one on the first try. I was pretty ticked because the guy was such an idiot, the manager appologized and I was on my way with the right hose. Ive been back to that oriellys a few times since then, and that idiot still works there. Althought I make sure to get someone else to help like the manager.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.