Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by greazyball View Post
I have an autolite 4100 im currently trying to rebuild,Its a 1.08 venturi style.I would like to find a nice,and complete as possible rebuild kit for it.Any suggestions where to shop?..And the real thorn in my side...the idle mixture screws are seized and i broke them trying to get them out of the base of the carb.Is it an option to drill them out and replace them? anybody know of a place thats done this sort of repair?
Echlin makes a good kit, p/n 2-5401. Covers late '50s through late '60s. NAPA carries them.

Getting the broken screws out (BOTH of them?) is going to be a *****.

One way to do it takes nitric acid, but that's not gonna happen unless you stop by here and get some from me.

If the threads aren't buggered up, you have to keep them that way as best as you can.

A shop that has someone who's good w/an EDM can prollably get it out, but that isn't gonna be cheap. But these carbs are expensive as hell, so it may be well worth it to do this.

But before resorting to any of that, I'd use PB Blaster on it- soak them overnight. Then try using a pick to get them to move. You can try a little heat, like w/a pencil torch. Using a thin punch to rap the end can help loosen the screw in the threads.

If the screws broke off flush w/the baseplate, you may be able to slot the remains for a small flat blade screwdriver w/a dremel using a thin cut-off wheel. You might need to sharpen/thin the screwdriver blade to fit the narrow slot.

If push comes to shove, the mixture screws can be replaced w/a screw from another carb having a larger thread. The tip can be duplicated if need be- as long as the tip is centered and close to the original length and taper it'll work fine.