Autolite 4100 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 02:34 PM

Last journal entry: studebaker m5
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Autolite 4100

I have an autolite 4100 im currently trying to rebuild,Its a 1.08 venturi style.I would like to find a nice,and complete as possible rebuild kit for it.Any suggestions where to shop?..And the real thorn in my side...the idle mixture screws are seized and i broke them trying to get them out of the base of the carb.Is it an option to drill them out and replace them? anybody know of a place thats done this sort of repair?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Banned

Last photo:

Daytona carb it is the place to have it rebuilt or get a full rebuild kit from. goggle them. First class operation.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

Last photo:

heres their site

Daytona Parts Home Providing World Class Carburetor Restorations and Kits for Carburetors
Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by greazyball View Post
I have an autolite 4100 im currently trying to rebuild,Its a 1.08 venturi style.I would like to find a nice,and complete as possible rebuild kit for it.Any suggestions where to shop?..And the real thorn in my side...the idle mixture screws are seized and i broke them trying to get them out of the base of the carb.Is it an option to drill them out and replace them? anybody know of a place thats done this sort of repair?
Echlin makes a good kit, p/n 2-5401. Covers late '50s through late '60s. NAPA carries them.

Getting the broken screws out (BOTH of them?) is going to be a *****.

One way to do it takes nitric acid, but that's not gonna happen unless you stop by here and get some from me.

If the threads aren't buggered up, you have to keep them that way as best as you can.

A shop that has someone who's good w/an EDM can prollably get it out, but that isn't gonna be cheap. But these carbs are expensive as hell, so it may be well worth it to do this.

But before resorting to any of that, I'd use PB Blaster on it- soak them overnight. Then try using a pick to get them to move. You can try a little heat, like w/a pencil torch. Using a thin punch to rap the end can help loosen the screw in the threads.

If the screws broke off flush w/the baseplate, you may be able to slot the remains for a small flat blade screwdriver w/a dremel using a thin cut-off wheel. You might need to sharpen/thin the screwdriver blade to fit the narrow slot.

If push comes to shove, the mixture screws can be replaced w/a screw from another carb having a larger thread. The tip can be duplicated if need be- as long as the tip is centered and close to the original length and taper it'll work fine.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Forgot to add this: Pony Carburetors. They have core$ in case you need another baseplate. Might have OEM mixture screws.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

I soaked the carburetors in a metal tray filled with PB blaster for a month or so,But no luck in getting it to release the screws,I did try some heat but that didnt work either.I actually have 6 autolite 4100s' that i picked up awhile back,2 are the 1.08...yeah both of them are the ones with stuck idle mixture screws.the other 4 are the 1.12 venturis..and one of the larger ones has a longer 'snout than the others...i have heard that guys dont like that version any particular reason why? At any rate,i think i will end up with 3 possibly 4 good carburetors to run,If i can get them cleaned up and rebuilt properly.I already tangled with PONY carbs,and i will never work them again.I spent over $500 and got the run-around and ended up with a carb that wasnt even mine and it didnt work properly..not even close.I LOVE the autoite 2100&4100 carbs.I didnt have any left that were rebuildable until a few weeks ago.In the meantime i bought one of those 'summit' 600cfm 4V..a decent carb,gave me a few headaches at first but it seems to be operating well now.However,I still dont think its as good as the autolites.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
WFO

Last photo:

I was going to mention the Summit/Holley 4010/Autolite 4100 carb they sell. I used the Holley version and it worked OK even though it was on a too-large engine (Pontiac 455 and Cadillac 472). The Summit version has been improved in a few important ways over the Holley, so I'd guess by now it's a good little carb.

Sad to hear Pony screwed you. I wouldn't mention them other than they do have cores and parts, even though they're priced like they're made of gold.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

Im not so angry that they sent back a carb that wasnt mine,I wanted mine back because its the original from the original car/engine.But from what i could find out.The one i sent was either lost or ruined after it arrived there.But instead of notifying me of that,They tried to fob off a different carb and say it was mine.Also as soon as i bolted it on..i hadnt even touched a thing..just removed it from the box bolted it on,And it began leaking all over.I stopped the leaks but it was so frigged up the car wouldnt even run.I described what was happening but i didnt get very and was told that everything that was wrong was due to my inexpierience..so without all the info being heard from me,the determined that it was all 'ME'.Had they been up front and told me they had lost or ruined my carb and offered to give me a good replacement..i would have been okay with that.They did an autolite 4100 for my dad several years ago,And it was GORGEOUS!! and it worked flawlessly, all claims they made about improvements were right on the money.At any rate i wont go to them again.And today i ordered 2 kits from Mike's carburetor parts.I did go look at Daytona parts,But they didnt have a 'hardware kit' Mikes did,So i oredered 2 carb kits and a hardware kit so i could have metal floats and some other items im missing.it will be here in a few days.I will post here on what i find in the kits and review

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.