Autoloc power window switch wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 04:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Autoloc power window switch wiring

I'm changing my power window switches for billet Autoloc ones, in my 1947 Studebaker pickup. I have no wiring diagrams or harness with the switches.
I intend to use traditional spade connectors, but does any one know which wire goes to which terminal? There are 6 terminals.
+12v
Earth
2 wires to the motor
That's 4 wires, how about the other 2 terminals?
Should I wire the switches through a relay? I don't think they are currently, as it's pretty chunky wiring going to the existing switches?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	17651  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Dakota Digital may have diagrams for those switches

Electric Life

A-1 Electric

With six positions on the switch, makes me think they may be lighted???

They are probably a BMW type switch.
Not sure as to how to wire those, but I have seen the diagrams at one of the web sites for the people above.

Bryan
Old 01-12-2007, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

I cant exactly give you the info you are looking for on the switches, but I would say that if you cant find the diagram, use an ohmeter to test continuity between terminals. You can determine which terminal is the common, this would be your power source (or ground source) depending on how you wire it.
If it were me, I would wire it using relays activated through the switches on the ground side, instead of the B+ (positive) side. Reason being, by doing this you will have only 1 hot wire running through the door jamb and lessen the chance of future shorts. As a matter of fact, if you locate the relays, say under the instrument panel, the only time there will be a hot wire to the door would be when you actuate the windows. Plus you run less of a chance of burning your switch out from high amperage draw of the window motors.
Back to the switches. Using the ohmeter, test between terminals while actuating the switch in one direction, and note any that give continuity. Then actuate the switch in the other direction and test again. One of the terminals should be common between both directions of actuation. that should be all you need to make the system work. You would need 4 standard relays to complete both windows, using a seperate relay for each window direction in each door.
If you choose to skip the relays, and wire direct from the switches, I believe you should have both a power and ground supply wire to the switch. This allows you to reverse the polarity of the motors by actuating the switch in each direction. You are going to test the switch in the same manner as above, but you have to find the other common terminal, and related terminals in each actuation direction. Once you have that, determine which common terminal you want to be B+ and which to be ground, and connect the motor wires so that you have a positive terminal and a negative terminal going to the motor with the switch activated in either direction. That would equate to 6 wires on the switch as stated.
I hope this helps and not confuses you. I installed remote power door locks on my Galaxie, and used the relay method, the difference being that is remote activated instead of manual switches. Works well.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:08 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks very much for your time helping.
I've got a multi meter, so I can carry out those checks.
I think I'll go the relay route as well. That's a good idea - wiring the relays on the ground side.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:52 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

See attached wiring diagram for power windows.

(2) wires go to the motor and are connected to the common (center) terminals on the switch.

(2) wires are connected to 12 volts. These are outside terminals on the switch.

(2) wires are connected to ground. These are inside terminals on the switch.

When the switch is pressed UP only the left hand section moves to the 12 volt point and the ground is maintained by the right hand section.

When the switch is pressed DN only the right hand section moves to the positive 12 volt point and the ground is maintained by the left hand section.

vicrod
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Power Windows (2 Door Utility, Pickup) (Part 1 Of 2).pdf (53.3 KB, 616 views)
Old 01-15-2007, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for that. That's a great help.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.