Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Automatic to Manual
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've done this twice.

Here's my current build, obviously your ability to fork out green is a factor.

I am running a Saginaw 4 speed (should be less than $500) behind a Chevy 305. Plenty of stout for the power I have.

You'll need a set of pedals which can be purchase aftermarket. Might need some modifications, but doable with a little fabrication skills

I recommend running a hydraulic TOB to make things easy and in my opinion, cheaper. Bought mine through Speedway and it works great. The first time I did this I set up a slave cylinder and the geometry was a pain. The hydraulic TOB was a breeze and I am running a stock master from Advance Auto parts, cheap too!

Don't buy a model specific bellhousing. Buy a new steel that will fit several applications in case you change your mind. Price will be comparable in any case.

You will probably need to modify your drive shaft and move your tranny crossmember.

Estimate $1000 for this route. I'd love to run a 5 or 6 speed myself, but that route will multiply your costs. I'm a little light right now to be specific. I hope this helps!