automatic to manual, HELP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 07:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

automatic to manual, HELP

hey guys, i have a 86 camaro, with a 305 and a 700r4, ive had this car for about 8 months and this is the second 700r4 that ive blown up, i have a T5 at home that i want to put into the camaro, i know im going to need to get a flywheel, a pedal, and a shifter, is there anytyhing else that i might need? and has anyone ever done this before, what kind of headaches am i getting myself into?

i know that an automatic is normally better for drag racing, faster shifts and stuff, but i dont have the money to keep dumping into these automatics, ive always had more luck with manuals, plus its a daily driver, not a drag car

thanks

russ

anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement

Last edited by black86z28; 03-15-2004 at 04:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 03:10 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You`ll also need a slave cylinder since it`s a hydraulic operated clutch. Out of curiousity, tell me more on the 700R4, what`s it doing exactly? Is the computer still functional? is the converter lockup still in use? if not are you running a aftermarket tranny cooler or the stock one in the radiator? the number 1 killer of automatics is heat, if the 700R4 is operated without the lock-up and without a external tranny cooler, it don`t take long before the heat cooks the tranny. pull the dip stick, if the fluid is black and smells burned, you found the problem.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:30 PM

well, its doing nothing, thats the problem, hahah, and when i drove past it last night i noticed quite a puddle of tranny fluid underneath it, i am using the stock trans cooler in the rad.

this tranny was used, when i installed it about 2 months ago, im not really worrying about it too much, i have the 5 spd and all that good stuff, plus i always have my ol trusty S10 to drive while the camaro is down

thanks for the reply

russ
Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 PM

How fat is that 305?I thought those trannys were pretty tough.Would it just be a bellhousing and driveline change?BFP
Old 03-17-2004, 02:04 PM

the motor is basically stock, it hass accel wires and an accell cap and rotor set, a k&n air filter, no cat, and a flowmaster cat back, and i have removed the a/c

and from what ive heard and from my experience these trannys are junk for running any sort of power, at least with the stock guts and settings

thanks

russ
Old 03-25-2004, 09:29 AM
YOu KnOw IT

I"ve done this swap but from a th350 in my 82 camaro ....you will need the the slave cylinder and A pedal or the set..i just had the clutch pedal whacked the brake pedal inhalf and ran a longer Top grade bolt through the exsisting peadal assembly all the indents are in the body to mount everything..to run the line from the engine bay to the inside there is a gromet that you just need to take out everything lined up great for me...you will need to open up your trans tunnel but no biggie...you can use the 700 r4 drive shaft too if i remember right a th350 won't work...good luck

p.s. 700r4 are junk i was smoking them all the time with my 305 TPI take one in and have it done up and they are good

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 03-25-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:02 AM

thanks for the reply, a friend of mine has the trans, pedal set, and the cylinder, hes selling it all to me for 100 bucks, he said that the 2nd gear synchro is going bad, anyone know how difficult it is replace the synch's in these things?a

i figured that all the holes or dimples would be there for all the new parts i will need to install, i really hope this takes care of my problems, im soo tired of 700r4's i could puke

thanks again man

russ

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.