Hot Rod Forum banner

Automotive Fuels

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Hogg 
#1 ·
The 20hp Model T engine was designed to run on Ethanol, Kerosene and Gasoline. Ethanol lost out to gasoline as the fuel of choice.

The United States Numbered Highway System was formed in November 11, 1926.
The Volstead Act was enacted in October 28, 1919 and January 16, 1920.
The Model T was produced from 1908 through 1927.

I've always wondered how much the prohibition of Ethanol affected the use of Ethanol as a fuel. Just imagine if Ethanol became the primary fuel of automobiles in the United States of America?

Ethanol as a fuel

Crude Oil prices(1992-2016)

I was also surprised to learn that in the USA the United States government subsidizes gasoline to the tune of almost Six Hundred Billion dollars.(US$600,000,000,000)
United States citizens pay both Federal and State fuel taxes at about 12% total.
The price of fuel in Europe is more than double when compared to the USA. 2000-2005 was about 1 Euro per liter )about US$1.42/L or $5.40/US gallon) while the United States' fuel price was roughly $1.50/gal or $0.40/L.
As of March 2013, the average price for 87 octane gasoline was $3.22 a US gallon (85¢/L).

As of 2015 the USA consumes on average 19.4 million barrels per day. 1 barrel of oil is 42 US gallons, 36 Canadian gallons, or 159 liters.

In 2011 United States motorists travelled 500,000miles (800,000 kilometers) per day and we expected to drive 8.158 billion miles (1.3129×1010 km or 13,129,000,000 kms) in 2012.
This all averages out to 33 miles (53 km) per vehicle per day. Consume 1.49 US gallons (5.6 L) of gasoline per day, or about 10.44 US gallons (39.5 L) per week.

United States citizens and North Americans in general, really enjoy their driving. IMO there are very few better experiences than starting up a V8 engine, and going for a drive. The sounds, the sights and the smells(there's nothing like the smell of high octane fuels in the morning) and the freedom of driving is tough to beat for the layman like myself. Owning and modifying your vehicle allows us to express our artistic side, while exercising our technical/mechanical side and even allowing for our competitive nature during "supervised acceleration trails".

Its the world of Hotrodding in general, and it is all powered by FUEL. Even the electric cars trace their power back to the oldest fuel of them all, Coal.

peace
Hog

See less See more
#2 ·
In regard to your comments on how much we drive if not it being connected to a sense perhaps of wellbeing as much as freedom one can see the effect of this in the elderly when they have to surrender driving. It seems like that is the life damning moment from that point on it looks quickly down hill for many if not most people.

Bogie

#6 ·
Wow Bogie, neat ride. Thanks for posting that.

Hcompton, years ago I saw an article about a guy who modified an old 70s chevy pickup to burn wood. I dont recall how it worked, but it seemed handy as you could stop and saw down some fuel, and fill the bed with it too.

#9 ·
Wood cars?

Pretty damn neat HC!

I don't know much these days but I'm pretty sure there are some pretty smart peeps in the world who will come up a working solution to just about anything. I tend to be libertarian leaning and I kinda hate the feeling when government slows or impedes ideas or removes our choices.

#10 ·
You reminded me I heard this on the radio the other day, scientists fear the extinction of some bees that pollinate stuff to give us food, they are working on miniature drones to take over the job ( one day) ? And no it was April the 1st. It was a serious programme.

Later gator
Russ

#12 ·
I saw a British military ambulance that ran off of wood gas. Certainly not a vehicle you hop into and take off right away, but compared to heating a boiler to make steam, wood gas is a quick starter.

I don't know how you'd fashion a catalytic converter? The wood gas might foul the O2 sensors lol

peace
Hog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.