Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Automotive water base paint questions
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 05:18 AM
Nostalgic Racing Decals

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Spraying with wate base.

Today I had to go a a local body shop to get an estimate for an insurance company and I started talking with a guy and I asked him if they use water base paint and he told me know not at this shop.

He told me about another shop close by who does use water base paint because their clientele is all the really high end cars like Ferrari, BMW, and man others and he said all of those manufacturers have used water base paint for years.

He also told me that is part of the reason their metallic paint jobs on those cars are superior to anything we paint using solvent based paint.

He said water base paint flows the metallic's much better then solvent based paint and he told me if you believe me just try for yourself.

He told me to use the standard 2k primer and solvent based clear but that the water base paint works excellent and is much more forgiving in terms of you do not have to complete the entire painting job in one day.

He told me that even applying the clear does not have to be done within a certain numbers of hours or even days.

He also explained that water base takes longer to dry which is the reason that it should be done in a booth or at least have the correct heat lamps and a slower reducer to help it dry faster. The slower reducer would be needed here in Florida.

I spend one hour talking and he also told me Canada has been water base for some time. The Mannheim Auction people use only water base on every car they spray.

He did not know a great deal about the Turbine HVLP Systems but I told him I liked the fact that for someone spaying in their home garage you had a lot less over spray.

I am trying to learn as much about the product as I can and then I will be purchasing an old hood from a junk yard to experiment on first.

Jimbo